Black screen on boot up v3 771g

melitan
melitan Member Posts: 4 New User

When powering up I get the Acer screen for about 10 sec and then black screen. Immediately before this there was a Windows update for the graphics card, if I remember correctly. I have tried hard power down 3 times but on the 4th time I do not get the message "preparing for automatic repair". I am unable to get into Safe Mode. Any help would be most welcome. 

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

First let's see if this will work"

1. At the black screen, press and hold the power button until the system powers off.  This typically takes 5-8 seconds.
    2. With the system still powered off, press and hold the Shift and F8 keys.
    3. While still holding Shift and F8, press and release the Power button.  Continue to hold Shift and F8.
    4. The Acer logo should appear on the screen followed by Please Wait.  Release Shift and F8 at this time.

If it does:

1. The Recovery screen should appear.  If only a blank screen appears and not the Recovery screen, retry steps 1-5.
    2. From the Recovery screen, click on See advanced repair options.
    3. Click on Troubleshoot.
    4. Click on Advanced Options.
    5. Click on Startup Settings.
    6. Click on Restart.
    7. The PC will now reboot to the Startup Settings screen.
    8. Press 4 to Enable Safe Mode as prompted.
    9. The PC will now boot to Safe Mode.
    10. Enter your user name and password as prompted to log into Safe Mode.
    11. Open the Start screen.
    12. Type “devmgmt.msc” and press Enter to start Device Manager.
    13. Double-click on Display Adapters to expand the Display Adapters category.
    14. Right-click on the specific Graphics device and choose Uninstall from the menu.
    15. At the Confirm Device Uninstal prompt, check the box Delete the driver software for this device and then click on OK.
    16. Restart the PC.
    17. The PC will now boot to Windows normally.
    18. Enter your user name and password as prompted to log into your PC.
    19. Make sure your internet connection is working and then run Windows Update.  Choose to install all available updates.
    20. The PC should now be functioning normally.

• melitan

Thanks for getting back to me.

I get as far as 4 the Acer logo appears on screen but "please wait" does not, however long I hold shift F8. When eventually I release shift F8 the black screen appears after 20 seconds.

• melitan

I left the V3 on black screen and occasionally a white triangle appears on the lower left screen. Additionally the blue screen "driver_power_state_failure" has just occurred. 

• Flyercan
    Flyercan Member Posts: 3 New User

WOW! Where ever the BSOD Power state failure is mentioned there is a sudden stop in responses. 

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Try disabling Secure boot and see if it will boot.

Go to bios/security tab and set Supervisor password,just use 12345, go to Boot tab and disable secure boot.

To clear Supervisor password highlight it and put in password,enter, hit space bar 5 time,enter, hit space bar 5 times, enter.

• melitan

Thanks for your input.

Tried your suggestion and now unable to get back into BIOS.