Deleting System Reserve and PQSERVICE during Clean reinstallation of Windows 7

enigmatic
enigmatic Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Im about to format my harddrive and reinstall Windows 7 using the windows 7 CD I purchased. I can see a number of partitions:

Disk 0 partition 1: PQSERVICE

Disk 0 Parition 2: System Reserve

Disk 0 Parttion 3: Acer

Disk 0 Parition 4: DATA

I would like as fresh reinstall as possible

Can I delete Disk 0 Partition 1: PQSERVICE and Disk 0 Parition 2: SYSTEM RESERVE

I think PQSERVICE provides stuff like the drivers my ACER Desktop requires. However I have allready downloaded these from the ACER site using my serial number. I'm more concerned about the system reserve parition.

I response would be much appreciated. I dont to make a terrible mistake.

Thank you

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

your PC didn't have any CD to re-install since it's all inside the PQSERVICE partition, you must do the CD yourself using the Acer erecovery tool.

without PQSERVICE and without CD/DVD create from that partition with Acer erecovery you will not be able to restore to factory default.

if you don't want/need this, just erase all the HDD and go with a plain windows 7 installation, PQSERVICE and System restore are not needed, system restore will be created from the new installation.

Drivers are downloadable as you already found.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

PQSERVICE is the Acer recovery partition, so if you don't have acer recovery media, you will not able to restore your system to factory.

if your installed OS is still working, i would suggest to do the Acer recovery media, before erasing all the HDD.

• enigmatic

I appreciate your help Ironfly.  Im going to reformat my haddrive and install windows using the Windows 7 CD. So I'm thinking that the SYSTEM RESERVE will be recreated on install.

As for PQSERVICE do I really need it since I can install the drivers required by my Acer PC from the acer website. I've allready downloaded the correct drivers from the acer website here:

http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/drivers

No CDs came with my ACER desktop so I probably dont have an acer recovery media CD, however I have downloaded the drivers.

So my question is do I really need PQSERVICE AND SYSTEM RESERVE

Thanks

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

your PC didn't have any CD to re-install since it's all inside the PQSERVICE partition, you must do the CD yourself using the Acer erecovery tool.

without PQSERVICE and without CD/DVD create from that partition with Acer erecovery you will not be able to restore to factory default.

if you don't want/need this, just erase all the HDD and go with a plain windows 7 installation, PQSERVICE and System restore are not needed, system restore will be created from the new installation.

Drivers are downloadable as you already found.

• enigmatic

Thank you for your reply. It's actually SYSTEM RESERVE not SYSTEM RESTORE. Maybe that's what you mean?

Anyway thanks for your help

• IronFly

LOL

yeah system reserve.

you welcome. Smiley Happy