c720 freezes and gives "Chrome OS is missing or damaged." message

elyders
elyders Member Posts: 1 New User

My son's Acer c720 Chromebook (Model PEPPY C6A-V7A-I7S) is only 3 months old (Manufactured date is 7/14/2014) and the last few days it's been freezing about 10 seconds after opening it. I can't even log in unless I type really fast.

After I hold down the power button to restart it, I sometimes get the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card."

I insert my recovery USB stick that I created and it goes thru the recovery process. It restarts and then it will either freeze when I try to select my network or it might sometimes let me past that point and then freeze later when I try to login again.

I gone thru the recovery process about 5 times now. I did the powerwash, too.

He needs the chromebook everyday at school, so this is very frustrating.

I've tried both of these recovery methods:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27637

and this

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27646/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDE3Mjg5OTcyL3NpZC9vb

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

See if unchecking "Use hardware acceleration when available"  at the bottom of  chrome://settings/  

• omega789
    omega789 Member Posts: 1 New User

I get the same exact problem as described that sometimes I would get the "Chrome OS is missing or damaged. Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card." But this only happens when I noticed the swap file being in use. Anything more than 3GB of swap file in use, then the OS becomes unstable. Either it'll just freeze, or it'll freeze with that error message. But mind you this is with I'd would say 7-15 tabs open. Especially the case when there are flash apps in use (example, flash base game and videos on separate tabs).

I don't know if it's maybe a ChromeOS thing where it has trouble using the swap file like crazy or if it's hardware. Because when I only have say like 3 tabs open max, then it seems to work perfectly fine.

My Acer C720P only has 2GB of ram, but configured the swap file to use 6GB given the little ram on the machine I have. Now I regret not getting the 4GB model of the C720P.

I'm hoping maybe perhaps Google will release an update that will take care of this if it is happens to be a known software issue.