Acer v3-772g wont wake from sleep with lid closed

vasco_tech88
vasco_tech88 Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi all,

I have an Acer v3-772g notebook running Windows 8.1, it is updated with the latest drivers and BIOS as well.

Im facing a problem that my other 2 laptops (HP Probook and Toshiba P200, both Windows 7) dont have:

I cant wake up the laptop from sleep when the screen lid is closed, while it works fine when the lid is opened.

The reason I want to do it is because I have a desk with 2 external screens (VGA+HDMI) and USB mouse + keyboard, and I have the laptop closed in a shelf under the table, I am not using the laptop screen as an active screen.

Ive cheched the following settings:

• On the windows Power Options, the "Lid close action" is set to: Do Nothing, while "Power/Sleep button action" is set to: Sleep
  • On the windows Power Options, the "USB selective suspend setting: Enable/Disable" does not change the behaviour
  • On the windows Power Options, the plan "Balanced, Performance, ..." does not change the behaviour
  • On the Device Manager, on the "Power Management" of USB hubs, mouse and keyboard, the option "Allow this device to wake the computer" are set
  • On the BIOS there are no possible configurations

The following happens:

When the lid is opened:

• Power button: sets the laptop to sleep/wakes it up - works fine
  • Using windows button to sleep - works fine
  • Moving the mouse while in sleep: does nothing - works fine
  • Unplugging/plugging an USB device while in sleep: does nothing - works fine
  • USB hubs, mouse and keyboard power while in sleep: LEDs are on - works fine
  • Pressing a key on the USB keyboard or the mouse button while sleeping: wakes the computer - works fine

When the lid is closed:

• Using windows button to sleep - works fine
  • Moving the mouse while in sleep: does nothing - works fine
  • Unplugging/plugging an USB device while in sleep: does nothing - works fine
  • USB hubs, mouse and keyboard power while in sleep: LEDs are on - works fine
  • Pressing a key on the USB keyboard or the mouse button while sleeping: does nothing - doesn't work!

I've read online that this is a BIOS level setting, and it gets me more annoyed since in other 2 laptops it works fine, including the Toshiba which is arround than 6-7 years old (on the Toshiba case it even wakes up if i unplug an USB mouse/keyboard while in sleep)

It is very annoying that in order to wake up the laptop from sleep, i have to take it under the desk, open the lid and press any key and put it back under the desk...

Any help or anyone with the same issue?

Thank you

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi vasco,

I've confirmed that this is a funtional design intended to reduce the risk of accidentally overheating or damaging the system. While there isn't a change or a fix for the issue as described, I would like to point you to our Idea's platform which can help our design teams determine what is important based on customer feedback.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Ideas/idb-p/Acer

Thanks,
    Cory

• vasco_tech88

Hello Cory,

Thank you for the fast answer.

Anyway this topic keeps me still not very convinced as I wonder in which sittuation you would have a case of overheating or damaging the system just by waking a computer via USB keyboard or mouse when the lid is closed. I guess people dont put their laptops in a bag with the mouse turned on.

Appart from that:

Windows has the option to change the behaviour of the USB devices via the "Power Managment" window. It leaves me quite dissapointed that Acer went over the OS and ignored the choices of the user.

It also leaves me sad the fact that Acer does not allow this option in the BIOS of the laptop(s). Leaving option of choice completelly out of user domain.

This is really dissapointing when Acer made quite a nice laptop that can't be used in a desk without the user need to open the lid, press the space bar and close it again to wake the laptop.

Im sorry, but for me writing an idea in a costumer portal is the same as writing a message in a page of a paper phonebook, it will just stay there lost forever. Acer like all companies are interested in producing and supporting new products, everybody is aware of that, the ones that are already on the market will never (ever) receive any update except if would be a critical sittuation.

I will write anyway, but i know this subject will most likely die here and the client will be left on the side as you, Acer, already got my money.

• gogiants
    gogiants Member Posts: 2 New User

I agree that intentionally breaking this useful functionality is a poor design choice. I use two laptops with a KVM switch and a monitor so this is a very annoying "feature".  If I had known this was the case, I would not have bought my laptop, which is an i7 and is supposed to be "modern," even though it replaces and ancient Aspire that worked fine (and has still not overheated in 5+ years). I definitely would advise against others buying one. Please address this as soon as possible.

• Gnthr
    Gnthr Member Posts: 3 New User

I second that. If I would have known before that I cannot wake up my Aspire Switch 11 with the lid closed I would not have bought it.

If there were concerns about power consumption by an external USB device then the (missing) BIOS feature should allow to enable this feature (wake up with lid closed from USB device) while the laptop is on external power.

/Guenther

• lfalonso
    lfalonso Member Posts: 2 New User

Same problem with brand new e5-471. please solve this: my older hp pavilion could wake up with lid closed! This not solve overheating, because i can configure it to do nothing when the lid is closed and not suspend pc when is conected to ac current, and the pc could overheat more than if acer enable the wake up from suspended mode.

• vasco_tech88

Its pretty sad that so many people having the same issue and Acer cant help on this.

Ive noticed that this thread already moved to Legacy Laptops and Netbooks, so for 99% sure there wont be any sollution available.

I would actually like to see the result if Acer would provide source code for legacy units, at least BIOS. Well I know thats impossible in a corporation environment but still I would like to see what developpers outside Acer could make of an old laptop.

Acer works mainly in hardware, that we dont have a doubt, I was only wondering what advantages and disadvantages would come out from a laptop developper that would provide source code to people outside the company, even if they had to go through some kind of agreement.

I wonder if Acer could grow as the "awesome company that makes laptops that are fully customizable by the owners if they want to", well, they would still have to sell the hardware Smiley Happy

• zcsrs
    zcsrs Member Posts: 2 New User

This is definitely a BUG, not Feature. PLEASE FIX IT !