Acer Aspire S7-392 Waking while lid closed (then I wake to a dead battery)

Options
mrnobody
mrnobody Member Posts: 5 New User

My Acer Aspire S7-392 with Windows 8.1 often wakes while the lid is closed, and then when I need to use the computer while on the road, I find that the battery is nearly dead because it has been running. I do not have that behavior set to stay away when the lid is closed. It should go into sleep mode. 

Does anyone else have this problem. It's quite frustrating because I cannot trust that my computer will have batter power when I need it, unless I leave it plugged in constantly. I'd like to be able to not have to shut down manually everytime I need to close the lid on my computer.

Answers

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

Could you post the Power Options settings, Specific to What to do when lid is closed.
  • mrnobody
    Options

Sleep for everything. Here's a screenshot of the settings:

Screenshot 2014-11-24 18.09.31.png

• abdekker12
    abdekker12 Member Posts: 33

Tinkerer

Options

I don't know whether this is related, but I recently bought a S7-392 and found the Intel app "Smart Connect" was installed. The idea behind Smart Connect is to wake the computer at "off-peak" times and keep your apps and Live Tiles (on the Metro screen) updated. In my opinion, this is nightmarish. Not only do I not mind waiting a few seconds for emails and updates to occur, but I do not like the idea that an installed app will wake my computer to perform something so pointless.

After reading up about this, and I was a little nervoud at first, I uninstalled Smart Connect and am happy I did. Be careful, though, because Windows Update (if you have it running, which is the default) may well "helpfully" re-install it for. I stopped Windows Update from installing this by doing a manual update, selecting "Smart Connect" from the list and asking never to be shown the update again. I do not have the issue you are describing. Note that you can also turn "Live Tiles" off many of the Metro desktop tiles by right-clicking them and choosing "Turn Live Tiles off".

I realise this may not be related to your problem, and please don't nuke Smart Connect without getting advise or doing your own research...but I thought it might be relevant.

Regards,

Alain

• mrnobody
    Options
    I'll uninstall Smart Connect and see if it resolves the issue. Frankly, I'm surprised that I'm the only one reporting this issue if it is related to an app that would be installed on all computers of this model.
  • Rickster
    Rickster Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    This sounds exactly like the issue I'm having.

My ES1-512 won't go into hibernate, and "comes out of sleep" and consumes the battery when CLOSED (LED flickers blue/red).

Works fine when open...

What starts running when you close the lid...

Did you find a solution?
  • abdekker12
    abdekker12 Member Posts: 33

Tinkerer

Options

In Control Panel > Power Options select "Choose what the power buttons do" or "Choose what closing the lid does". This shows the image that MrNobody shows. Select "Change settings that are currently unavailable" and at the bottom of the screen, untick "Turn on fast start-up (recommended)". You might also want to change the options for closing the lid, etc, to "Hibernate" instead of "Sleep".

You can always undo this if things don't work out for you.

My Acer S7-392 frequently re-powers itself when I choose Shut Down. I curse a bit...then shut it down a second time. I've managed to cure the problem of it remaining powered by uninstalling Smart Connect and making the changes mentioned above.

There's quite a lot of control built into Windows 8.1...but Microsoft sure do hide it under multiple layers!

Hope that helps,

Alain