Acer Aspire M1641 Desktop. Rear audio jacks have 7.1 surround sound. I need manual for audio jacks.

SemiNerd
SemiNerd Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

DSCF0499-enhanced.jpg

Above is a close-up photo of the audio input/output jacks on the rear panel of my Acer Aspire M1641-E3750A Desktop PC. I think this setup is for a 7:1 surround sound system. When I access the Acer Aspire manual from the PC itself, it doesn't specify exactly which jack is for which function of a surround sound system. I do know the universal audio symbols mean: 'output'-arrow pointing out of wave circle and 'input'-arrow pointing into wave circle. The pink jack is the microphone input jack. The blue jack is the line-in jack. The green jack is for a headphone. 

Here are the three problems I'm trying to solve:

1) Which output jack serves what function in a surround sound system?

Since the green jack is for a headphone then on a surround sound system this output would likely serve as the 'Left' and 'Right' front speakers. Is that correct? I suspect that the black top middle jack is the woofer. Is this true? I don't know what role the white and yellow output jacks serve in this system.

2) What is the proper wiring/hook-up procedure to attach speakers to these output jacks?

I think ALL the output plugs are mini stereo plugs. So, do I attach two speakers from each output plug like a stereo headset?

3) Does the PC power the attached speakers in the surround sound system? If not, do I have to patch the outputs from the PC through an amplifier and then output the signals to the speakers?

I apologize for all this detail! Maybe there is a quick reference someone could offer via a link to a knowledge base. I've tried Acer, Wikipedia and other sources but I can't seem to find answers to these questions.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Some integrated audio card (like  Realtek) can have multi-purpose jacks.

apart the pink one that's Microphone jack, the others can be used as headphones or speakers output (normally the green one).

if you go to your control panel and double click the Realtek icon, probably will popup a window with various settings and can help you to understand what every output does.

for sure you need an amplifier, the PC audio card doesn't have enough power to handle a surround speaker without an amplification system.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

Some integrated audio card (like  Realtek) can have multi-purpose jacks.

apart the pink one that's Microphone jack, the others can be used as headphones or speakers output (normally the green one).

if you go to your control panel and double click the Realtek icon, probably will popup a window with various settings and can help you to understand what every output does.

for sure you need an amplifier, the PC audio card doesn't have enough power to handle a surround speaker without an amplification system.

• SemiNerd
    SemiNerd Member Posts: 4 New User

My sound card doesn't have Realtek software. I did follow your guide in general, though. I found the 'Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)' icon embedded in a pop up after clicking the sound/volume control on the taskbar. I got the sub-menu:

Acer rear panel output jacks.jpg

I confirmed this same menu is accessible through the Control Panel as well. There can be a few different ways to get to the same answer when it comes to software....

Your comments re amplification are appreciated. I thought that might be the answer so it's nice to get it confirmed to prepare and test the equipment, etc., ahead of installation.

Thanks, this solved the problem!

• IronFly

You welcome. Smiley Happy