Added msata drive to R7-572

Rustydog
Rustydog Member Posts: 16 New User
Added 480G msata to R7. Made USB recovery. Removed hdd. Tried recovery reset, installs to 50-60% then quits????

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Does it quit or just stop?

• Rustydog
    It gives message, can not complete reset. I made a new USB recovery key and did this process 2 more attempts. Same result.
    Ssd is shown in bios and listed as the d drive with recovery data when viewed with file explorer. Should I format the ssd?

• philetus

You need to make the USB bootable before you copy the files to it.Use diskpart

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-USB-Bootable

and then copy the files to it.

• Rustydog
    Thank you for the info. I'll give that a try in the morning
  • Rustydog
    Do I need a bootable USB if I use the Acer recovery program. They don't mention needing this.
  • philetus

If the Acer Recovery disk program created the recovery USB drive it should be bootable.

• PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Member Posts: 72 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I had the same problem. I tried a couple of times in one morning, but instead of fixing it (I was getting impatient) I just cloned the original HDD and plopped it onto the SSD instead. Sorry, that means this isn't a solution to your problem, but it should be an alternative to do what you want to do (you can use this guide).

• Rustydog
    Used a different USB drive to load Acer recovery data to ssd, IT WORKED FIRST TIME! Now I can't get into bios using F2???
    SSD is really fast.. Also tried loading external LG DVD writer software on new drive. It locks up, not sure what's happening.
    Need the drive to load program files, Norton 360 etc. Any ideas?
  • philetus

Mine's fast too and if I wait until it says hit F@ I miss it. I push power and start tapping F2 fast until I get Bios.

• Rustydog
    Thanks, that worked. My new ssd is listed as HDD1 in bios info menu, but doesn't show up in the boot menu. It boots up fine
    ( and fast!). Windows Boot Manager is listed no. 1 in boot menu. Still can't get LG software to load.
  • philetus

What LG software? You shouldn't need any software. An external DVD should be plug and play.

• Rustydog
    Thanks again, I discovered that right after posting. If I reinstall my hdd (win 8.1 still on it) will it boot back to this ssd or to the hdd. Sdd not listed in boot menu for some reason.. Not sure I will be able to select sdd. Sorry for all the questions,
    not to computer savy.
  • philetus

Yor original HDD is complete and functional? You can connect it with USB and clone it to the SSD. What brand SSD did you buy?

• Rustydog
    I have a 480g My Digital BP4e msata, $189 with 10% discount. My hdd worked fine. Probably going to format hdd and use for data, etc. Does the hdd have the same sata plug as a standard 2.5 ssd? Have Intel 530 240g, connector is different, going to return it to Best Buy. Any idea why ssd doesn't show up in boot menu?
  • philetus

mSATA is a different connector than a reg SATA drive.

Try this, scroll down past physical install.

http://blog.laptopmag.com/install-msata-ssd-tutorial

• Rustydog
    The connector I am asking about is the one that the hdd is connected to. A previous post by Andrik and PenquinJim shows an adapter being used on the connector on the hdd drive which I think allows it to use a standard sata drive. Not sure about this. Maybe they can reply. Thanks for all your help
  • Rustydog
    Meant to add I have a msata ssd already installed
  • philetus

A SATA SSD will plug in where you removed your SATA HDD without any adapters.

• Rustydog
    I tried using a Intel 530 240g ssd in my R7 yesterday, doesn't work. It looks like I need the Acer plug adapter #20.M9UN2.001 as found when doing a seach on this forum. Very expensive, anyone know of a place to get one?
  • Rustydog
    The photos shown in this forum discussion: "HDD install in Acer R7 572g". By Andrik and PenquinJim. I have R7 as shown without the 2nd connector. Maybe not all R7's were the same.