Acer Iconia A1 840 FHD

chriss92
chriss92 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives
Recently I bought this model. It's the most powerful Android tablet produced by Acer, and I'm satisfyed for it. But I would want to be sure that it will receive the last update of Android, Lollipop version. Will it receive this update? If yes, how much time is needed?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

Acer has made no announcements about Lollipop. Expect at least a year before it is available. They will design and release new models with Lollipop installed before they'll get it ported to older models. That said I'd expect if you tablet came with Kitkat it likely you will also get Lollipop.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • chriss92
    I hope this model will be get Lollipop...I hope for shorter time because Intel is working on Lollipop to port it on its processors.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

porting to the processor is only a portion of the task, albeit a big part... You also need to build drivers for each peripheral chip/function you support and port your custom apps and skins to the new OS. Then you start testing and killing bugs, which tends to take 80% of the time (remember the 80:20 rule? 80% of the time for the last 20% of the project).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • chriss92
    I didn't consider this. I will wait, but I hope I will get Lollipop on this tab.
  • Tablet8User
    Tablet8User Member Posts: 1 New User

Acer, any word one way or another on Lollipop? I bought my A1 840 last fall and quickly have realized that without Lollipop my SD card is hardly useful.  Beyond this I have been satisfied with this tablet. but I'm in the market for a new tablet for my wife  and if you won't look at upgrading this relatively new tablet I need to look someone who stands behind their product better.  Also, for a future tablet for myself I can not consider Acer - and I may be forced into a new tablet soon due to the SD limitations on this tablet.  Get me an upgrade to Lollipop so I can use the SD more effectively.

As point of comparison.  My Android phone is a year older than this tablet and has Lollipop, along with its increased SD card function.