Acer Iconia W3-810 will run Windows 10.

Options
nubatman
nubatman Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives

Just did a full install overnight with the Preview of Windows 10. If anyone is interested in installing, the process takes a while. If you do not have your restore disc or a Windows 8 disc I do not advise installing (It's still only a preview and will be disabled early next year).

1) Back up all necessasary content.

I skipped this step because I left the system untouched when I went to Windows 8.1. There was nothing I wanted.

2) Download the Preview iso.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

The key listed may not be needed for the install, but copy it just in case.

3) Mount the iso in a virtual drive.

I have tried burning an iso, but my system would not install that way for some reason.

4) Enter the iso's folder under Windows File Explorer and double-click "setup.exe".

During the installation, when it reaches the "Ready to Install", click on the "Change what to keep" link. Disable all check boxes and continue (If you choose not to you may not be able to install). Let the install do it's work and be ready for a few resets.

The final reset may give you a blank screen with a few pixels scattered.. It happened with mine.

Side note-

I think the drivers for everything were ported during the installation.

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Mine is running W10 fine except needed a special displaylink driver and had to reinstall the Broadcom WIFI driver.

When you load you have a choice between a upgrade install with will keep all your current drivers or a clean install which will wipe the disk first and require tha Acer/Intel driver package to be reloaded.

Before installing I strongly recommend going into the File History menu and doing a full image backup onto a USB hard drive (will be about 25GB).

• cmiuc
    cmiuc Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

acer needs to update its drivers. some of the Intel thread drivers are not working• Have yellow! up date Acer!

• padgett
    Options

BTW 98xx worked ok, 99xx blew up, and 10xxx is working well on my W3.

• insurehill
    insurehill Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I received a notice this morning that I cannot install Windows 10 because my "Intel(R) Media Accelerator" is not compatible with Windows 10. I can't find any newer drivers for it.  Any ideas?

• leecollette
    leecollette Member Posts: 14 New User
    Options

Me too!

• mhenman
    mhenman Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I also get the same error message from the Windows 10 compatibility check:

"Intel(R) Media Accelerator" is not compatible with Windows 10

• leecollette
    Options

Are we or·phans or not? Is there a path out?  I've checked Acer, Intel and Microsoft as best as I am able.  It's a pretty dark picture so far? 

• JFox86
    JFox86 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Easy to upgrade.  From within 8.1 you'll get the error in the upgrade tool that your pc isn't supported due to the above mentioned GPU issue.  Instead, download the media creation tool here and select download 32 bit.  Once that's done, run the app and pick "Upgrade this PC".  It's important you do this from 8.1 as a fresh install will NOT give you an activated copy of 10 as this does.

Edit:  If you're light on space, you could probably also create the bootable flash drive and upgrade that way with the same tool, just make sure you upgrade and not advanced - clean install.  (This method would require an OTG cable.)

• leecollette
    Options

thanks but you are very forgiving.  some traditions would hold this is an abnormal procedure due to an error by some entity.  i hate jumping through hoops because of a stupid error.

• padgett
    Options

Also if running the preview (10240) will the real one pick up the key from the BIOS ? Mine is doing a lot of updating now.

ps did get this "As you might imagine, the servers which are handling the distribution of Windows 10, the Windows Store and indeed Activation are all taking a huge hammering thanks to the day-one rush. Because of this, everything is a little bit slow right now. Windows 10 PCs which are not activated after upgrading shouldn't worry, your activation will eventually show up." Right.

• insurehill
    insurehill Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

when I click upgrade this computer an error message appears saying"Something happened".

• therapture
    therapture Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

I did the update from the direct download without any errors. It actually took less time to upgrade my W3-810 than the regular windows update on my laptop. I've actually have not noticed any issues with the graphics accelarator just insure you have enough disc space or just download to thumb drive and update from there.....good luck!!!

• JFox86
    Options

10240 was one of the legit upgrade paths, you should be fine given a few days and updates.

• JFox86
    Options

I got the same thing when I only had roughly 6GB free on my tablet.  I went the format, reinstall 8.1, windows update, then upgrade to 10 but that was probably a bit excessive.  Try the disk cleanup tool as admin and clear up any old junk you have lying around.

• JFox86
    Options

Same here, it was quicker than any of the other computers in my household using this method and I haven't seen anything weird with the display outside of the "tablet mode" not really working properly.  Disabled that and everything was alright.

• therapture
    Options

What problems are you having in tablet mode?

• JFox86
    Options

Desktop icons don't show up and the start menu won't go away.  Makes doing anything in the control panel a pain.

• therapture
    Options

My understanding is that when tablet mode is selected the icons in the taskbar are suppose to disappear, they do that on my laptop. Obviously holding down on the widows icon brings up the menu to access the control panel. Understand I normally use the desktop mode the most tablet mode for when I'm just accessing the most used programs as you can from the start menu, a bit redundant but Microsoft historically used redundancy as far back as I can remember.

• JFox86
    Options

Yeah, they do but I can't get out of the start menu?  And they're are no icons on the desktop.  Perhaps by design but seems silly to give me a start button with no effect.

• therapture
    Options

Can't you hold down on the desktop until the menu comes up then select view the desktop icons?