Connecting USB devices to Acer Iconia A1-810 tablet

mikenowo
mikenowo Member Posts: 28 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives

I have a question regarding the cable required to attach USB devices to the tablet (mouse, keyboard, etc.). I read on another website that “all you need is a micro-USB male to female USB convertor (also known as OTG cable)” to connect USB devices to the tablet. Now I purchased this cable “http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-A-Female-to-Micro-B-Male-Converter-Adapter-Cable-for-Samsung-LG-HTC-HLRG-/121336967045?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123″ on Ebay, but when I connect a mouse or USB ‘Stick’ I can’t use the mouse or access the stick. When I contacted Acer they say it’s not possible to access anything but a PC through the port on the tablet (with the cable they provide). Their support didn’t even seem to be familiar with OTG >.< The manual says the 810 is supposed to be able to do that with OTG even if their support deinies it.

So, I wanted to know is the cable I bought above the correct type? If so why can't I use the mouse or access the data on the stick?  Is there something special that I need to set in android on the tablet OR is there a special option to set or app I need?

Thanks for any clarification.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    OTG on USB storage works, check if the USB pen is FAT32 formatted.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mikenowo

Ok I checked the USB stick (you call it a PEN?) and is was NTFS. I right clicked it to reformat but the only other option is exFat, I take it that's Fat32? In any event, I formatted as exFat but I still can't read the stick from the tablet (I use the 'File Manager' app and when I go to it it only shows me the internal storage). I tried conecting a USB mouse as well but there is no cursor appearing on my tablet (as I was told should happen when you connect a mouse).

I have a feeling the cable I got may be defective as I can't use the mouse or see the stick, and when I use the 'USB OTG Checker Pro' app I have (bought it) it says it could not detect a USB OTG Signal. Might that be the case, that the cable is shot?

• IronFly

yes stick = pen.

nope exFAT is another thing, FAT32 is FAT32. Smiley Happy

by the way it can be a faulty USB OTG cable.

• mikenowo

Hmm when I right click the drive virtual drive letter for the pen/stick in "Computers" in windoze7 it only gives me those two types of formats, Fat32 isn't an option :-/

• IronFly

the stick is bigger than 32gb?

if so, windows 7 can't format to FAT32 the stick, need to use a smaller one or do a smaller partition.

• mikenowo

yeah it's 64GB .. ok I'll use a smaller stick and see if the tablet can read it.. thx!

• mikenowo

Meh I tried a 8GB stick too and it still can't find it so might be the cable. Can't really know unless I buy yet another cable <sigh>.

• IronFly

probably is a bad cable.

• IronFly

I got a suggestion to use the USB OTG Acer cable.

Part Number
    50.L0KN5.001
    Description
    CABLE USB A FEMALE TO USB B MICRO MALE 7IN. WHITE
    Part Number
    XZ.70200.194
    Description
    CABLE USB A FEMALE TO USB B MICRO MALE BLK

• mikenowo

er do you mean the one that came with the Iconia? If so that won't work, it's a male to male and I need USB female to male micro

• mikenowo

Where can I grt that, do I have to purchase it from Acer specifically?

• mikenowo

Where would I get that cable, do I have to buy it from Acer specifically (or can I get it somewhere else)?

• IronFly

I don't know where is available, you can try to do a google search with the code.

• mikenowo

Looks like those may be European part numbers because every hit I get the price is in Euros heh (I'm located in Canada). In any event, I found a cable that specifically states that it can connect a mouse, keyboard, flash drive and even a USB adapter TO the 'Acer Iconia A1-810' tablet, so going to try that out, will post my results:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-Port-Micro-Usb-Power-Charging-Otg-Hub-Cable-For-Acer-Iconia-A-Tablet-A1-A1-810-/191266232307?

• DGP_Maluco
    DGP_Maluco Member Posts: 7 New User

Any news? I have the same problem! Keyboards and mouse won't work and the cable works!

• mikenowo

Haven't tried it, I ordered it but haven't received it yet.

• Defiant
    Defiant Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just for future reference, to this old post. You may read somewhere that the acer iconia A1-810 is otg compatible, this is false. Iconia a1-810 does not support otg! If all of a sudden it can be made. Not that I am aware of at the moment.