aspire 5720 2007 won't start at all

Options
buchharsh
buchharsh Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives
Hello support team I have aspire 5720 bought in 2007. It stopped suddenly. On pressing power button start up light comes on which stays about 5 sec and switches off. Tried with and without battery but same. Fan starts and in a se laptop is off. I have removed HDD and put it back and same to ram. Also did power reset by holding on power button for a minute without battery plugged in but no luck. Please help got important data? Any place where I can show in Sheffield. Thanks

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

Do you hear any bios error beep codes?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• buchharsh
    Options
    Hi Jack thanks for coming back. No I don't hear any beep codes
  • JackE
    Options

OK, I assume when you say "It stopped suddenly" to mean that you were working on something and it just shut off without warning.

A number of possibilities. The easiest first. Dust bunnies clogging your CPU, heat sink & fan. It might be really clogged if it doesn't get by the power on self test. Have you tried to vacuum the air intake port and blow thru the exhaust port to chase these bunnies out if they're in there?

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• buchharsh
    Options
    Yes I have tried cleaning the dust in fan and vacuum motherboard. Also removed 2 ram and pressed power button to reset. It was working alright last evening and when I tried to switch on this morning it won't work. Mains was off and shut down all ok.
  • JackE
    Options

>>>It was working alright last evening and when I tried to switch on this morning it won't work. Mains was off and shut down all ok. >>>

So are you saying this is an intermittent problem since it first suddenly shut off? Sometimes it boots up OK and sometime not? What do you mean by "Mains was off"?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• buchharsh
    Options
    No it does not start at all. By mains off I mean it was not left plugged in for charging all night. And it was all shut down alright before breaking down.
  • JackE
    Options

OK. You wrote earlier>>>Please help got important data? Any place where I can show in Sheffield.>>>

First, your hard drive with the data does not seem to be the problem here. So you can always get your data off the drive onto another computer drive with a simple HDD USB adapter. They're less than $20. For example  http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Converter-Activity-Support-EC-AHDD/dp/B00CPGYNV4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415049923&sr=8-1&keywords=hard+drive+usb+adapter 

Next, what do you mean by "Any place where I can show in Sheffield" ?

Finally, when you say it doesn't start at all, I assume that you mean the activity lights and fan seem to come on for a few seconds, then they shut down. Since you eliminated the CPU dust overheating possibility, the next thing I'd look for is a possiblity of a conductor trace either on the MB or one of the ribbon cables coming in contact with a ground somewhere. The most vulnerable ribbon is the video cable where it travels thru the hinge area especially if you have a habit of opening/closing the lid too much. You might want to try taking off the screen bezel and hinge covers, and gently pull this ribbon from it's rather congested path thru the hinge area. Then, before putting it all back together, see if you can carefully apply power and see if the machine starts with the video ribbon cable removed from its hinge compartment.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• buchharsh
    Options
    Hello Jack I will follow the steps you gave. And give it a try. Thank you so much. Will come back to you how I am getting on. I meant by Sheffield is if there is reliable laptop repair shop in Sheffield UK if I am not successful