Can Acer monitors play displayport audio through built-in speakers?

Options
Andrew_G
Andrew_G Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I'm looking at purchasing a monitor with built-in speakers.  I found an Acer B243PWL that looks nice.  However, I can't tell if it supports audio over the DisplayPort input, or if I would need a separate old-school 3.5mm audio cable.  Does anyone know if Acer monitors in general, and this model in particular, support audio over the DisplayPort cable?

Answers

• sathya0403
    Options
    Hi,

This MOdel does not have a HDMI to support Audio, you may need to use the 3.5 mm Audio cable,.. bt there are other models with HDMI Support you can choose from
  • Andrew_G
    Andrew_G Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the post.

I am aware that this monitor does not have an HDMI input.  But DisplayPort can carry audio, just like HDMI can.

http://www.displayport.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DP-Audio-User-Guide-v1.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Are you saying that if an Acer monitor has an HDMI interface and built-in speakers, it can support receiving audio through the HDMI port?  And if it has both an HDMI port and a DisplayPort port, would it be able to receive the audio through either?

And if an Acer monitor has a DisplayPort input but not an HDMI input, does that mean no digital audio through the builtin speakers?

• Danforth08
    Danforth08 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Andrew_G said:

Thanks for the post.

I am aware that this monitor does not have an HDMI input.  But DisplayPort can carry audio, just like HDMI can.

http://www.displayport.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/DP-Audio-User-Guide-v1.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

Are you saying that if an Acer monitor has an HDMI interface and built-in speakers, it can support receiving audio through the HDMI port?  And if it has both an HDMI port and a DisplayPort port, would it be able to receive the audio through either?

And if an Acer monitor has a DisplayPort input but not an HDMI input, does that mean no digital audio through the builtin speakers?

Hi @Andrew_G, did you ever find the answer to this?
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    Well, there are a few things to keep in mind regarding sound and built in speakers on any display:

1. Only certain inputs can carry audio signal along with video. Those are HDMI and Display Port and if you want to pass the audio through to the speakers, plug it into your PC or console via DP or HDMI. Remember, VGA=no audio and DVI=No audio.
    2. If using a PC, you must pick the default audio device, provided you have plugged the monitor and your PC via HDMI or DP. To do that, go down to the lower right of your screen in the Windows task bar where your speaker icon and the clock is. right click on the speaker icon and select playback devices. this will bring up a list of all of the available audio devices, including speakers, headsets and audio-enabled displays. From there, find your Acer  monitor, right click on it and select "Set as Default." now you should be getting audio from your monitor's speakers. If you are not getting any audio, make sure that the monitor's audio settings are set correctly, i.e. it is not muted and the volume is set to a level where you can hear it.
    3. The monitors generally do not have any built in speakers in lieu of it being a high performance PC screen, but it does not mean that you cannot plug external speakers or a headset into it and still get audio that way, although I prefer getting my audio directly from the PC. Some monitors generally do have speakers in them, so you should be good to go.

Now, there is another way to get sound to the monitor, and that involves an extra cable. Say you have the monitor with in-built speaker and want to take advantage of the 144hz, but your video card only has DVI-D outputs and no DP. What you can do if you still want to pass the audio through is to connect the monitor to your on board audio or your dedicated sound card with an AUX cable (3.5mm male to male audio cable). Every monitor that has speakers will have a 3.5mm input called "line in" for this exact purpose and this port is where you will plug in your audio cable. So, at this point you have a DVI-D cable for video and 144hz and the audio cable for, well, audio.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Danforth08
    Danforth08 Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Sharanji said:

While I think that your answer is well-intended, it doesn't specifically answer the question that was asked. That is, does the Acer Monitor allow audio input via the DP connection. Your answer is generic, whereas I am unable to draw a conclusion with it.