Answers

• chronos00
    chronos00 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the EXACT same problem.

• This happens only on battery power
    • My BIOS version is V2.12
    • VGA BIOS: Intel V21371
    • Product name: S7-391
    • It does happen randomly (looks VERY random, at least until we can figure out the source of problem)
    • Fans are working perfectly, and there's no dust in the ventilation (laptop has only weeks of usage)
    • I've tried shaking and gently bending the laptop to check for false contacts, but it feels very solid.
    • I've tried restarting the laptop and leaving it at the BIOS screen. The problem persisted. I had previously fully charged the battery, and after 20 min in BIOS screen, the laptop shutted down.  I turned it on again, and left it on the BIOS again. It lasted another 5 min. Repeated the procedure one last time, and to my suprise it has been now running for 2 hours... I'll let the battery drain and then boot into OS while recharging and see what I get...

I could not find ANY other indication of an S7 with this problem on internet. Perhaps this model is still too new? I did found similar problems with other Acer models. 

I can't understand what the problem might be. It doesn't make any sense, but perhaps it has something to do with battery calibration? (hence my attempt to let the battery drain).

Any other thoughts about this?

• Surf_Monkey
    Surf_Monkey Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the same problem and have done since a few weeks after I bought it.

I cannot send my laptop back to ACER as I am doing a very intense distance Learning degree which requires me to hand in assignments and take online exams every couple of weeks.

So far I have had to retake the same exam 3 times because my S7 shutdown for no reason hafway through (as if i didn't have enough work to cram into the few waking hours I have outside my fulltime job).

I had an Aspire laptop I bought about 5 years ago and decided it was time for a new one and wanted to get a top of the range product. I actually trust the old laptop more than this one and wish I never got rid of it.

For now, all I can do is tie myself to a power outlet when taking exams and continuously save assignments while I do them if using battery power.

I am really disappointed in ACER now and will probably end up sending this 'unfit for purpose' laptop back to find something else.

Please, if someone finds a solution to this problem, post it here!

• Dunkx
    Dunkx Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi guys,

I have been working with our local Acer Supplier to find a fix this issue.

I wanted to let everyone here know how we are going.

First solution. (now current Workaround):

PLEASE NOTE WE ARE AUTHORIZED BY ACER TO DO IN HOUSE REPAIRS. THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

Remove lower case (11 screws on base of the laptop) and remove the case cover. Then remove center screw in battery pack and disconnect the battery from mainboard and reconnect after 3 seconds. Now replace all screws.

This will reset what what ever the problem is, but we have found in many cases the problem has returned 4-8 weeks later.

I MUST STRESS IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT USING DOING THE WORKAROUND PLEASE PRINT THIS OUT AND TAKE IT DIRECTLY TO YOU CLOSEST ACER SERVICE CENTRE. THIS IS A 5 MIN JOB.

Things we have tried:

1) Replacing battery. Did the same as above due to the battery being disconnected. Problem returned weeks later.

2) Replacing mainboard. Did the same as above due to the battery being disconnected. Problem returned weeks later.

3) Upgrading bios. This did not fix the issue. I have copied the Release logs for the bios to the bottom of this post, nothing has been noted about fixing battery or power issues.

So at this stage we are no longer swapping parts within the fleet, we are just using the work around and logging the repairs on acers warranty claims system.

I hope this helps people who are in a bind and have purchased one of acers flagship model laptops are are unable to use them.

But Here is the Release Logs for BIOS updates between 2.09 and 2.14

S7 BIOS Release logs

1. Fix KB Matrix Issue
    2. Update acer ALS/KB_backlight ALS v1.07 behavior

1.Fix FR of Some port can't boot to "Windows To Go"
    2. Update KBC to V1.14
    - Updated thermal table
    - Add Check EL Backlight CMD
    - Remove bFn_Swap_keys function .Update KBC to V1.14

1. Phase in New ALT+F10 GPT D2D Recovery
    2. Update IVB 306A9 Microcode to M12306A9_00000017
    3. Change Legacy VBIOS to 21372
    4. Update KBC to V1.15
    -Add Clear ALT+F10 flag when warm boot and cold boot

• Dunkx
    Dunkx Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

On a side note. After using the above "Workaround"

We have noticed the following.

Laptop does not hard power off while being used on battery.

Laptop will boot on battery power, while not being pluged into AC power.

Laptop battery life has increased in many cases. (some laptops were reported to have only 2-3 hours of battery life) Now we get above 4 hours on most laptops after the battery has been disconnected and reconnected.

Since I have a few S7 owners here.

We have had a few wifi issues with wifi connections dropping mostly while running on battery power.

Updating to the latest wifi drivers for our fleet the (Atheros 10.0.0.234) has fixed this problem.

Please PM me if you have and questions about the wifi issue so i do not hijack this thread.

Regards,

Dunkx

This discussion has been closed.