Acer Aspire E5 8.1 how to open embroidery design

Faronell
Faronell Member Posts: 11 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

My XP finally gave up and so have a brand new Acer Aspire E5 with 8.1 which is a beautiful machine and love lots of the features but if I can't figure out how to open a downloaded embroidery design with the Bernina Artlink 7 software (download free from Bernina) I have no use for it at all.  This should be a very simple task and has turned into a nightmare of support calls with no one understanding that all I need is to be able to tell the computer what program I want to use for opening the embroidery design. Hopefully someone can help simplify the matter for me.

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

What is the extention of the download? PDF, .JPEG, ect.? Your new computer is most likely 64 bit. Did you download 64 bit software? You can open a download by double clicking on it or right click and select open.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

From Desktop:

if you installed the Bernina software, you just need to right click on the file you need to open and select "open with"

you will see an application (maybe is Artlink) but if this is not in the list, click on "more options"

scroll until you see Bernina software

if still missing the correct application, scroll to the bottom of the list and click on "look for another app in this pc", then browse to the installtion Bernina folder and select the correct .exe to open the file.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Faronell

At least someone is on the same path as I thought it would be.  I get to the final option of "find another app on this PC" that is where it all goes to he** in a handbasket.  The bernina software is not to be found unless I go the download section and then if i click on it there it just tries to reinstall the software which of course does not solve the issue. Still hopeful.....

• Faronell

The extension of the  embroidery design is .DST

On my old XP I only had to double click the design and the computer knew to open it in the embroidery software. It was never a problem.

• IronFly

Have you unzipped the file downloaded and launched BERNINA_ArtLink_V7.0N.exe?

Mine installed smoothly after the installation program downloaded from the web Visual C++

• Faronell

The file is unzipped and the software seems to open fine from the shortcut on my desktop.  Just cannot find it when I try to tell the computer what to open the design file with.

• IronFly

check in 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Bernina\Artlink

or

C:\Program Files\Bernina\Artlink

then look for the .exe

so when you try to assign the correct .exe to Open with, you will be sure that the path is correct.

• Faronell

Getting no where, when I search it brings up all sorts of bernina this and that none of which have extensions, i picked the one that said x86 but still doesn't do anything to open the design.  do not know how to tell the computer to use it to open the design. 

Square one, it simply does not come up in the options i can use.

Close to tears now, been at this since this morning.

Called Acer first and 2 hours later and 3 different people, they still did not understand how basic a need I have.

Called Costco computer support, they knew what I wanted to do, but had no idea how to do it.

Will delete designs and uninstall software and start all over tomorrow.

Cannot believe how difficult this is.

The old Xp never had an issue like this, Once the software was installed it populated in the options to open the design.

Worked perfect for years.....

I Thank you for your trying to help.....

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

After you installed the software, did you run the program at all?

• Faronell

Started all over this morning and solved problem.  Needed to go to the software and open it first and have it find the design instead of the other way around like on my XP.....  I will tell you this, the interest of other folks willing  to help is a great incentive to not give up.  I appreciated your efforts. Thank you...

• Faronell

I reinstalled the software and went at from the opposite of what i used to do and used the software to open the design instead of the design finding the software on the XP.  Learning curves are a ***** but I am grateful for the guidance of others with more experience. I am a quilt artist not a tech wizard.....

I'm sure as I try to navigate other areas of the 8.1 that I will be back with more questions....

Thanks all!

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• andrecisp
    andrecisp Member Posts: 1 New User
    I found this post which is really about what I am also going through now, if anyone has a tip to give me I will be very grateful, thank you.
    curso de conserto de celular