no tv sound with w3 hdmi connection

JohnSc
JohnSc Member Posts: 8 New User

I have a micro to standard hdmi to connect my w3 to the tv.  When a movie is playing on the w3 i can see video on both the tablet and tv, but only the tablet has sound.  Is this normal???   I have verified that the tv works correctly with other hdmi sources but have no way to test the brand new micro cable or the w3 drivers.

Best Answer

• JohnSc
    Answer ✓

I was unable to locate a compatible driver at intel.com. 

However, i did try the w3 with a different Tv and everything worked as expected: even with only an 'Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) driver' available.  Speaker switching from the tablet to the tv was automatic.  I did connect and turn on the tablet before the tv and everything worked.

I tried this same procedure with the original tv and the results were good video but no Tv sound.  The sound stayed with the tablet.

I hae 2 tv sets and 2 blueray players.  I have swapped all combinations of tv and player and everything works well.  Since the tablet works well with at least one tv, the hdmi cable is ok.  My conclusion is that the current tablet configuration works with some tvs and not others, and until i can find a better driver i will just have to live with it.  I wanted to be able to view videos with the tablet when I travelled and will just have to wait until i get wherever i am going to see if it works.  Not very desirable but that is the way it is.

Thanks for your suggestions and assistance.

Problem solved (sorta).

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

With the HDMI cable connected, click on the speaker icon near the clock and date, choose "playback device".

Check if any HDMI device is here and if the right bar moves.

if not, click on on the HDMI device and check if it's configured correctly, enable it if it's disable or set as default.

if HDMI is missing, right click on that window amd enable "disable devices" and "disconnected devices" view.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JohnSc

No HDMI device shown.  I checked the boxes on both 'disable devices' and 'disconnected devices' and nothng happened: no change in window content.

• IronFly

any yellow exclamation mark on Device manager?

• JohnSc
  • JohnSc

no yellow exclamation marks anywhere in the device manager

• IronFly

Without an HDMI sound playback device, it's hard to have sound output on HDMI.

I'm thinking what can be wrong.

on Device Manager, under "sound, video, and game controllers", did you have any  Intel High Definition Audio HDMI?

maybe the drivers can be outdated, you can check on Intel website:

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

• JohnSc
    Answer ✓

I was unable to locate a compatible driver at intel.com. 

However, i did try the w3 with a different Tv and everything worked as expected: even with only an 'Intel SST Audio Device (WDM) driver' available.  Speaker switching from the tablet to the tv was automatic.  I did connect and turn on the tablet before the tv and everything worked.

I tried this same procedure with the original tv and the results were good video but no Tv sound.  The sound stayed with the tablet.

I hae 2 tv sets and 2 blueray players.  I have swapped all combinations of tv and player and everything works well.  Since the tablet works well with at least one tv, the hdmi cable is ok.  My conclusion is that the current tablet configuration works with some tvs and not others, and until i can find a better driver i will just have to live with it.  I wanted to be able to view videos with the tablet when I travelled and will just have to wait until i get wherever i am going to see if it works.  Not very desirable but that is the way it is.

Thanks for your suggestions and assistance.

Problem solved (sorta).

• IronFly

The TV that doesn't want to "sound" is the oldest or youngest?

• JohnSc

Oldest.

• robw3
    robw3 Member Posts: 40 Troubleshooter

You might want to do a search on the forum if you haven't already.  I know this topic has been discussed previously, although I can't remember what the exact cause for the problem was (but your last post does jog the memory to say that they were also having issues with working on some TV's and not on others.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

You may need to go into Control Panel>Sound>Playback with the TV connected and see if it appears as a selection and is it selected (should be a device like "HDMI Output" or the TV name and "WDM"). If it just shows "speakers" the TV is not being recognised as being sound capable.

This discussion has been closed.