Chromebook 13 microphone disabled?

karthy
karthy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

Hi

Just bought a Chromebook 13 and love it - it is really impressive and I will replace my entire familys old Windows boxes with Chromebooks.

But - in Google Hangout using video, the microphone is not working - it tells me, that it is either turned off or disabled in handware and I can indeed not find anywhere, where I can reenable it.

Anyone have similar problems?

Best Answer

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Answer ✓

Karsten,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have a hardware issue. The troubleshooting steps appear to be appropriate, if it was software or settings related, I would expect it to have corrected itself. I would suggest contacting your local support team.

Cory

Answers

• Cory-Acer

Hi karthy,

So, it should be on, I'm not 100% sure how you'd turn it off, but you can check here.

1. In your Omnibox type chrome:settings
    2. Click on show advanced settings at the bottom
    3. Under Privacy click Content Settings
    4. Near the bottom there will be Media. Microphone on my Chromebook 13 is set to Default and it is the only option.

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• karthy
    karthy Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi

Thank you for the suggestion, but it was already at "default" and I also tried to delete the site from the pre-allowed sites. When I entered hangout, it asked for permission to use cam and microphone and after allowing that, the cam i working but the microphone pops up and says, that microphone is disabled in hardware.

I hale also tried different account, I have tried to power wash (reinstall) chromebook but no changes.

Do the Microphone work for other Chromebook-13 owners?

Best regards,

Karsten

• Cory-Acer
    Answer ✓

Karsten,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have a hardware issue. The troubleshooting steps appear to be appropriate, if it was software or settings related, I would expect it to have corrected itself. I would suggest contacting your local support team.

Cory

• ehall
    ehall Member Posts: 1 New User

yes i do

• carguy06
    carguy06 Member Posts: 1 New User

I am having the same issue. The microphone does not appear to be working on mine

• taigrr
    taigrr Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue
  • John_Borgen
    John_Borgen Member Posts: 2 New User
     I have three chromebooks (HP13, Samsung Chrombook Pro and the Acer C270) They all have this same problem and it all started about a month ago. I doubt seriously that all of them are hardware related.
  • John_Borgen
    John_Borgen Member Posts: 2 New User
     I have three chromebooks (HP13, Samsung Chrombook Pro and the Acer C270) They all have this same problem and it all started about a month ago. I doubt seriously that all of them are hardware related.
    In addition, this only effects bluetooth headsets, not USB headsets.