When will the CB5 Chromebook 13 be released in the U.S.?

engineercsmith
engineercsmith Member Posts: 3 New User

What are the release dates for the various CB5 models?

Answers

• raisaahab
    raisaahab Member Posts: 4 New User

No one knows, even at acer ?? ! very interesting.. hmm..

I was also looking forward to buy this as a gift, in time for college term starts. 

Clearly, there is some problem with this model. There was a lot of promise about the full HD display, long battery life and the much hyped up performance of the Tegra K1 chip.

Various reviews now suggest that the non IPS screen and the chip performance isn't that great.Man Sad

Acer is keeping a very suspicious and complete radio silence about it - Nothing on press since 11th August. No news on shipping dates, which appear to keep getting delayed. (some vendors said late Aug, then first week of Sep)

Meanwhile, those interested should check out the similar or better looking full HD offerings from Toshiba (with IPS screen) or HP (slimmer form factor!). 

• engineercsmith
    engineercsmith Member Posts: 3 New User

I doubt there are any serious problems as several reviewers have test real machines with good results.  I currently own an HP 14 and the screen is terrible. It's like sitting in front of a mirror.  It's too early to trumpet about the Toshiba since it won't be available until november.  Details are still sketchy.

• raisaahab

I have looked at around 6 reviews, and overall they have been underwhelming. Benchmark scores are disappointing, (at times behind current chromebooks!) and performance does not appear to be as great as nVidia and acer lead us to believe. 

The primary target audience for chromebooks is students. Acer initially appeared to target the release (late Aug) towards those starting a new term. It has been a month since acer said anything about it, and most students would now be looking at other options.

I was referring to the new hp 14 full HD version with the Tegra K1, which would be slightly slimmer than CB5, and comes in other colors, if one prefers so. It is scheduled for Oct 22 release. (I personally prefer a matte display as well, but many reviewers found the Acer one to be pretty ordinary)

Toshiba full HD IPS screen model is scheduled for Oct 5 launch in the US, and it was also already shown to the reviewers

(Unlike acer, Toshiba/hp have given firm release dates)

• Mysphet
    Mysphet Member Posts: 6 New User
    Anyone have any new info on the release?
  • raisaahab

I was told by acer in mid Sep that CB5-311-T1UU was to be released on Sep 22, which did not happen.

When I contacted them again last week, acer said that they were out of stock (??!!?) on T1UU model, but can offer CB5-311-T7WR for $399.99 instead. 

The difference? Basically, it IS the SAME hardware as the "out of stock" CB5-311-T1UU with 2 years warranty (forced for an extra $20)!. btw, I had been watching this closely, and did not notice when it was in stock in the first place. 

p.s. Ordered Toshiba, has much better IPS screen, and initial benchmarks also look better. Further, it is available, and there is clarity on its supply.

• Mysphet
    I wonder how many others have cancelled their order. It is just amazing that an established company like this is willing to leave its customers in the dark.
  • Mysphet
    Order cancelled. I'll be receiving a Samsung chromebook from Amazon in two days.
  • raisaahab

I personally know several who have now gone for Toshiba, I would have bought this one if there was some clarity on its release. Think those still waiting for it might jump once the hp's tegra K1 model comes out (if acer are still sleeping).

A great thing that you cannot get is no longer a great thing

• Mysphet
    I wonder if they discovered that it has a bending issue. LOL!