How do you clear the supervisor password on an Aspire V5 131-2497?

Options
mdeath
mdeath Member Posts: 7 New User

I am in the process of downgrading to Windows 7. The instructions say to set the supervisor passowrd in BIOS F2, disable secure boot, then clear all passwords.  How do I clear all passwords? Specifically, how do I clear the supervisor password?

Thanks,

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mdeath
    Options

Okay, thanks so much. When I go into BIOS it is saying HDD password is frozen, so I escaped without doing anything. There was a logon p/w on that machine which I have set to nothing using your prescribed method; I went to change p/w and put in nothing , a blank. even tested it by reboot, and it did not ask for any password, just logged me in.

Is this HDD password frozen status a concern? Sure seems to be.

• mdeath
    Options

sorry to be a pain. I got the HHD frozen issue reso;ved by shutting down instead of rebooting. Now my problem is the GPT issue. If i set it to Legacy Bios, Win7 can't install because it is GPT. If i set it back to UEFI, Windows won't boots past the cirlces on startup. It's like a catch-22.

• IronFly
    Options

The best thing you can do, it to create an .iso file of your Windows7 DVD and burn it on an USB pen using Rufus with the GPT option enabled:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

Rufus it's very easy to use.(need 8gb USB pen)

1) choose the correct device where to burn the .iso file (your USB pen)

2) choose GPT partition scheme.....

3) FAT32

4) don't touch it anything else apart

5) Create a bootable......choose ISO image, click the little icon on the right side and browse to your .iso file image

6) click start and wait unitil if finishes

7) reboot your OS with the USB pen inserted and press F12 at boot to choose USB pen as bootable device (USB HDD sometimes)

• mdeath
    Options

Sigh..I hit F12 at bootup and all I get is an attempt tp boot from the network. Boot menu never comes up....

I selected the USB as 1st boot dev in BIOS too and it still comes up trying to boot from the network. I hit ESC and it says no bootable devices found...

• mdeath
    Options

wow. now the boot list does come up, I select the usb thumb drive and it STILL tries to boot from the network. I hit esc and it says no bootable devices...

• IronFly
    Options

have you selected GPT on rufus?

if you ahve still problem on booting the USB, disable UEFI and secure boot on BIOS .

• mdeath
    Options

yeh...all that is done. I'm trying a different flash drive now.

• mdeath
    Options
    Nothing is working - I cannot get it toboot from the flash drive - I tried three different flash drives, went through the Rufus procedure and the F2 no security/Legacy BIOS procedure and it will not boot from the flash drive. It sees them, but whenI select it, it just reverts to netboot. -
This discussion has been closed.