Retired to Thailand

Options
davidstipek
davidstipek Member Posts: 19 New User

Hi Everyone...

Sorry I posted a question first, before introducing myself...

Name is David, I live now in a House my Father-in-law built in Chiang Mai. So this boosts retirement as no Rent or House to purchase here Smiley Happy . Plus my wife is from Chiang Mai... so two Rights.... don't make it Wrong!

I have offered to run an English teaching school for the kids who want but families cannot afford to pay for. Our School is free they go 1/2 day to Thai school then 4 hrs, 5 days a week to ours. The reason I am here to post issue is because last year we used WinXp and our Seniors added Thai and Khmer Subtitles to Old American Classics, which got the 4 Students renewable 1 year Scholarships (fully Paid). School runs on Donations and we then received Copies of Windows7 Ultimate, few issues but they were worked out...except Video! Wasn't really an issue until we went to show Movie to Parents and Grandparents on outdoor sceen and BANG! had to find another Notebook to continue on. We had been given now a total of 6 Acer Aspire 5100's all have 4gb DDR2 ram installed except one it has 2 - 4gb DDR2's for a total of 8gb ram. But all have the same issue if they run Windows7 64bit. 5 have it installed the 6th is still running WinXP Professional 64Bit.

So if you read question (in another post) you will understand.

Other than teaching and helping I create and weld Custom Motorcycles... Choppers... Bobbers... 2 Cycle Drag Bikes...

If you decide to visit Thailand... Think of Toy and Me! Up in Sunny Chiang Mai (Northern Thailand)

David

Answers

• ElizabethS
    ElizabethS Member Posts: 845 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hello, and welcome to the Acer Support Forums!

We are very happy to have you here and look forward to any comments or contriubtions you may be able to add to the community.

• sirmurloc
    sirmurloc Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Wow, retirement in Thailand sounds great! Hope you can sort your video issues on those laptops for the kids!
  • davidstipek
    davidstipek Member Posts: 19 New User
    Options

Sirmurloc

Thank you! Yes Retiring here is great. Gives you time to do what is needed, also time to enjoy personal crafts.

Could be that this Laptop has a Video hip that is failing... Anyone have a Aspire 5100 board they would like to donate? If you look ack at answers from earlier support you will see exact Main Board we need. Easier to change whole Board then just the Chip... (we can do with removing and resoldering if needed to go this way...) We have Other of same notebook that work good, we had designated them for classroom use, this was just so happens that we had assigned to Computer Video Lab. Where kids were adding Sub-titles to Old America Classics, so they could be understood by their Elders... into both Thai and Khmer Language. Don't worry the Movies they are using have been released to public domain... also they are not Modifying Firms... ust adding Sub-titles.

This discussion has been closed.