aspire s3

Options
jarmas7
jarmas7 Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello All. I have an Aspire S3 Ultrabook in which the HD is failing. I purchased a new HDD but I am unable to clone it from the original HDD because it has bad blocks and crashes a 53%.

I was able to createa a recovery flash drive that my aspire is booting from. However, I cannot use it to create a new bootable HDD. It does not see the HDD that is installed. I go to advance and attempt to retore but it does not see anything.  What I am doing wrong?

The goal is to install a new HDD and put the ultrabook back to out of box condition with OS that it came with which is version 8

I appreciate any help here.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

The HDD is listed as device on BIOS?

press and tap F2 as soon you press Power ON on your S3.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jarmas7
    Options
    Yes the HD appears in the bios
  • IronFly
    Options

Check in BIOS if you can switch between UEFI and CSM, select CSM and reboot.

• IronFly
    Options

mmm

i'm not sure you can re-install windows with a "recovery flash drive" in a new HDD; this "recovery flash drive" will just help you troubleshooting the actual windows installation.

Create USB recovery drive:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-usb-recovery-drive

Create installation media:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• jarmas7
    Options

I changed to bios to 'legacy mode' and now the difference is that I see the windows 8 symbol briefly and Im back to choose and option.

I cant get it to boot at all. I cant see to create a backup image from the original damed HD which. 

Very lost here. Appreciate any help I can get

• IronFly
    Options

From the old HDD, you are not able to recovery at least the "acer recovery partition"?

if not, the only solution is to give a call to Acer support service and ask for DVD/USB media recovery disk.

give a look here too:

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44021-need-help-reinstalling-windonws-8-usb-2.html#post368623

• jarmas7
    Options

What I did is put back the original failing drive which booted up with the usual HD warning.
    Interestingly enough with a USB to SATA converter I attached the replacement driver I can see the new drive with the EXACT SAME partitions as the failing drive in device manager. The only difference is that on the on the failing drive c drive says Healthy (Boot, Page file, Crash dump, Primary partition). On the new HD is just says is "Healthy" and nothing else.

When i try to boot up with the new drive by itself i keep getting an immediate message saying "no bootable device found" this happens in both legacy and non legacy mode of BIOS.

Suggestions?

• IronFly
    Options

This happens because your new drive is not primary partition and bootable, you can do it with windows "disk manager" if you have a working windows 7 or 8 PC, connecting the new HDD with USB to sata.

• jarmas7
    Options

I am in disk manager but do not know how to make the new drive bootable.

This discussion has been closed.