Can I upgrade the cpu on my aspire 5349?

Options
Tedbaker
Tedbaker Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Acer Aspre 5349, I replaced the hard drive from the orginal 320 GB ATA 300 with 5400 rpm to  500 GB SATA with 5400 rpm I also upgraded the memory from 2GB to 8GB also using a 2GB flash card for ready boost; runs great only thing is I still have a slow Intel cpu with only 1.6 GHz. I want to upgrade to an Intel i7 2640m  with 2.8 Ghz. Was wondering if anyone has tried this or made similer upgrades? Also open to sugestions on other cpu's that will be compatible with this chip set.

Answers

• dlsummers1216
    dlsummers1216 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I tried an i5 2.7ghz two days ago in my 5349 (came with celeron dual core b800 1.5ghz) and my computer wouldn't even turn on.  i put the old cpu back in and it fired up like normal, so i'm not sure if the cpu needed more power than the computer could give it, just wasn't compatible, or if the bios/chipset wouldn't support it.  i did some research and found you can upgrade safely to an i3 (2330 i think and also 2.0-2.5ghz), but above that, i honestly can't find anyone who knows.  i've searched the net for weeks now trying to find out if the motherboard/bios can handle more, but just can't find anyone with that answer.  hope this helps you out.

• 5349owner
    5349owner Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I suspect that you were using an Ivy Bridge i5.  I think if you stick to a Sandy Bridge CPU it will work.  I am shopping for one on Ebay myself right now and will report back if I get something faster transplanted.  I really want an i7-2620 but I'm too cheap to spill $120 on a cpu.  I see i5-2430's going for around $50.   That's more my speed.

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter
    Options

You can use this to match core options and to make sure the socket

you have will match up with the I7 you want. One has to remember

that the I7's take more power. Most are 55 watts, with one being 45

watts. The unit may run way too hot or become unstable. You could

be in pretty decent shape with an i5-2540M.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Celeron_Dual-Core/Intel-Mobile%20Celeron%20B800.html

• Davidmasurik
    Davidmasurik Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Hi guys . I have a acer aspire 5349 and I did the cpu upgrade to the core i 5 2450 M without bios flash or anything and it runs smooth and stable. So for the guys who want to do this go ahead it works wonderfully. I upgraded from the standard 1.6ghz cpu to the i 5 cpu without problems. The i5 cpu is a sandy bridge cpu and is compatible with the acer system my system is upgraded with 500 gig hdd and 6 gig ram with core i5 cpu and its as stable as it can get just do not over clock you system as it may lead to overheating and cause damages.
  • Dave321
    Dave321 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I am getting the same cpu for christmas as Davidmasurik upgraded his laptop with.  How is the cpu working in your laptop David?  I also purchased 8GB ram for the system.  I hope to do some swift computing in the future.Robot LOL

• Davidmasurik
    Davidmasurik Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi Dave321. My acer with the upgrade is still running fine and have not had any problems with the upgrades that I did even though I live in a hot place I haven't had a days problem and my laptop is running 24 hour's. Merry Christmas and I hope you get it right.[edited for privacy]

This discussion has been closed.