Windows 7 Starter kernel error on reinstall

Options
rmadd101
rmadd101 Member Posts: 1 New User

I've had an Aspire One D270-1401 for about 18 months now.  I got it super-cheap, and didn't bother to read up too much on the specs.  I was disappointed to find that, while it does have an HDMI out, it's max resolution is only 800x600, which looks pretty awful on the 42" TV I was intending to hook it up to.  Since that failure, I've tried such things as making it a 10" GPS unit, creating a dual-boot with Linux, then doing the same with Android, which worked quite horrendously.   I've finally settled on trying to sell it via Craigslist, so I figured I'd better get rid of all the other non-Windows mess, completely wipe everything, and reinstall Windows.

To do this, I started by trying DBAN.  Evidently something went wrong with the computer during the Android install, as I was unable to properly boot to the flash drive on which I'd installed DBAN (I've had success with that very stick not too long before on another computer).  To make matters worse, it wouldn't simply boot to Windows anymore after the failed attempt(s) to run DBAN.

My next solution was to simply remove the hard drive, plug it into the external docking station I have, and reformat it, install Windows 7 Starter via a torrented disc image mounted on a flash drive (with the legit product key printed on the netbook's bottom), then run DBAN to more securely erase the drive (though I've never used any personal information or my regular Gmail address on it), then reinstall that same version of Windows once more.  Reformatting went off without a hitch.  Unfortunately, the next step didn't.  When I attempt to boot to the flash drive, I get the following combination of error message/codes:

File: \windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
Info: Windows failed to load because the kernel is missing, or corrupt.

Unfortunately, the netbook is out of warranty, so I can't even do a quick chat with Acer to see if they have a way to get me a proper copy of Windows to reinstall (or to have them tell me I should have purchased an external disc drive to burn the installation back-up).  Does this error indicate a problem with the ISO (or some error in creating the bootable flash drive with it), or is something missing from the laptop?  I went back & re-read the nearly 70 comments on the particular *****, and only 1 person mentioned a similar kernel issue.  Most everyone else seemed to get it to work just fine.

Any suggestions are welcome; thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

This discussion has been closed.