Aspire 5742 memory upgrade problem

Options
Cobra
Cobra Member Posts: 2 New User

I have an Acer Aspire 5742-374G50 with 4GB (2+2GB) memory and try to upgrade to 8GB (4+4GB). Have bought Corsair memory type ”Value Select” CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9 but it won’t start and goes directly to ”Windows recovery” mode.

The new memory size (8192MB) is listed in the Start-up menu (F2) but I can’t find any way to change the memory settings. Latest version of the BIOS installed (V1.30).

Corsair memory info: DDR3 SODIMM, 1,5Volt, SPD speed 1333MHz, Speed rating PC3-10600 (1333MHz).

Is the problem related to the 1333MHz speed, in that case how can I change the computer settings to get them accepted? Or what can I do?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,154 Trailblazer
    Options

Try removing one stick and boot with one module only in the bottom slot, then if it boots, switch to the other module and check, do the same for top slot as well, try to find whether either of those sticks are faulty or the slot banks are faulty.

• sarkonix
    sarkonix Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

If you are looking to get more speed you should replace the HDD with a SSD. That gives the most speed for most users over RAM.

• Cobra
    Cobra Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Did your test but without success and still the same problem. The new memory is visible in the BIOS set-up and the computer works fine when I put back the old memory.

Is there any Windows settings to change memory speed?

This discussion has been closed.