Acer Iconia W510 battery drain while in sleep mode

Options
Reivis
Reivis Member Posts: 3 New User
Hi all! I have recently purchased a Iconia W510. I installed all Acer updates through the live updater. I have also updated Windows to 8.1. At first everything seemed fine but after a few days I noticed that something was wrong. I am getting massive battery power loss when not using the tablet. I leave the tablet in sleep mode at night without it plugged in. Last night I kept it plugged in until I went to sleep. It was at 100% and then I unplugged it. I also turned off most live tiles, I think there are 2 running. Calender and weather. I made sure everything was closed out as well. I checked it before work (roughly 7 hours) and it had dropped to 61%. That is an insane amount of loss. The first couple of days the loss was in the single digits. I tried to skim through older posts to see if there was a definite solution but i was having trouble finding one. I guess the best lead I saw was a problem with the wifi but the thread kind of ending without a sure fire resolution or if that was even the problem. That post was also from last year so I was hoping maybe someone had a solution now. Please please help me, I dig the windows tablet (i honestly didn't think i would) and I don't want to have to exchange it. If you need anymore info from me just let me know. Thanks for any help!

Answers

• Reivis
    Options

Another thing that I have noticed is that everytime I open Task Manager, whether after sleep mode or restart, is that the CPU usage is a constant 99%. I can't believe that that is normal Smiley Sad

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options

Reivis wrote:

Another thing that I have noticed is that everytime I open Task Manager, whether after sleep mode or restart, is that the CPU usage is a constant 99%. I can't believe that that is normal Smiley Sad

Sure sounds like you have something running in the background more than it should... What does Task Manager says about the biggest CPU hogs? Are they also using Network bandwidth? If so you might have one of the malware packages running.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Reivis
    Options
    Nothing that seemed out of place, just normal things using more CPU then it should. Task manager itself was using an insane amount, like 50%. I was gonna try a system repair when I get home from work and if that doesn't work I will try a full restore. Is there a particicular order to install updates after the OS. Like acer updates > windows > drivers? And I also saw a bios update for my tablet on the acer website. Thanks again for the help
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,921 Trailblazer
    Options

Do the BIOS update before a restore. and it doesn't hurt to do all other updates now and see if the problem is affected. After a restore do the Acer drivers first, then Windows updates.

If you're in Task Manager looking at CPU usage the sum of all running tasks should be awfully close to 100% since they show System Idle Time as the unused CPU cycles. If you aren't seeing any large tasks (when a task launches, such as Task Manager, it uses a lot, then settles down) looks like things aren't adding up you may have a hidden task that's throwing it off. Viruses and the like tend to hide themselves from utilities like Task Manager...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.