Missing boot drive?

Options
benska
benska Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi everyone,

I hope I can get some concrete advice/suggestions regarding this ridiculous problem I seem to be having with my Acer V3-571-6897.

One day last week the computer started making this crazy noise and the computer froze. I did a hard shut down, removed the battery...then powered back up after a few minutes. Not a problem, and I continued to use the computer. It continued to make very loud sounds upon boot up in subsequent days, but after several moments the log on screen came up and I was able to continue. Until last Friday night. I finished watching a movie, then put the computer to sleep. Have not been able to get it to boot up since. When I turn I try to log on, it gives me the following message(s):

No Bootable Device. Hit any key. When I hit any key, it brings me to a page where I can arrow up or down to choose my option...however, when I arrow up or down, or hit any key whatsoever, it just enters the message all the way down the page. When I control, alt, delete...it reboots(?) back to the start up page, and then I get the no bootable device message again.

I have also gotten the following message on occasion: Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (0%complete) If you;d like to know more, you can search online later for this error: UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME.

It will go into "Preparing Automatic Repair" but nothing happens. I can occasionally get to a screen that asks me to "Choose an Option", those options being Troubleshoot & Turn off your PC. At one point I could get into the Troubleshoot option, but it wouldn't let me do anything. Now, if I CAN get to that screen again, I have no pointer with which to choose an option! I am able to get into the Setup Utility Screen, but I'm really not sure what I'm looking at, or what to do with it in the first place.

I took a bunch of screen shots with my Samsung Galaxy, but I have no idea if I can get them on here to use as a visual.

This is my SECOND Acer computer to ***** out on me...and of course this time it happened one month after my warranty expired. The first computer happened before the warranty, but nobody could fix it by remoting in, and as I was out of work at the time, I could not afford to package it up and send it away.

If someone out there can help me, I will be so very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Valencia

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Enter in BIOS (at boot press F2) and check if HDD is recognised.

It looks like a faulty HDD but not sure 100%.

Check also if recovery works from boot, boot your V3 and press ALT+F10.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • benska
    Options

Hi IronFly, thank you for your reply.

When I can get to the F2 function, under the Security heading is as follows:

Supervisor Password is:   Clear

User Password is:           Clear

HDD Password is:           Frozen

I am guessing that it IS recognizing HDD, but I can't be sure. Alt+F10 does nothing on my computer, although I will try that again when I get home at lunch. Would you suggest I take it to a repair person? Or contact Acer and send it off for repair? I am somewhat loathe to do that as I am not very happy with Acer at the moment.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• IronFly
    Options
  • benska
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try that tonight when I get home. Do you think this could be the whoke problem? I sure hope so, and that the fix works!
  • IronFly
    Options
    I doubt will solve all the issues but one step at time we will try to solve them.
  • benska
    Options
    Ok, I've tried it and the machine is not "saving" the supervisor password. Therefore, I can't complete the rest of it. I am beyond frustrated.
  • benska
    Options
    Oh! I think something is happening. I think I got it to accept the password, now it's looking like its trying to log on. It is taking a LONG time though. Looks like it's not going to boot...going to turn off power button, go from there
  • benska
    Options

Right then, nothing ended up happening. Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet...now it's a choice between Acer online support @ $99, or going with the guy I found on Kijiji. Acer it is I think  Smiley Sad

• IronFly
    Options

Ok, sad to hear that. Smiley Sad

This discussion has been closed.