recovery CD freezes at 5%

Options
2»

Answers

• mark72450
    mark72450 Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

I unplugged them wiped them off and replugged them. on the HD end they seem to be hardwired in to the motherboard.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,554 Trailblazer
    Options

I'm more inclined to think that the read mechanism on the CD/DVD drive went south when you dropped it. That's why I'd sorta like to see you try putting the image on a USB stick and loading it that way. You might have to use another computer to make the stick as I suspect it may fail on your system at the same spot.   

Cory, does the ACER recovery disk work with Microsoft's DVD/USB tool? Or will Mark have to use Rufus of something similar if he wants to use the Acer recovery image on a USB stick instead of downloading a generic Windows image from Digital River?

Thanks

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

I agree with JackE, i would try an USB image to install windows; it looks an issue on DVD unit.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options
    Spoiler
    JackE wrote:

I'm more inclined to think that the read mechanism on the CD/DVD drive went south when you dropped it. That's why I'd sorta like to see you try putting the image on a USB stick and loading it that way. You might have to use another computer to make the stick as I suspect it may fail on your system at the same spot.   

Cory, does the ACER recovery disk work with Microsoft's DVD/USB tool? Or will Mark have to use Rufus of something similar if he wants to use the Acer recovery image on a USB stick instead of downloading a generic Windows image from Digital River?

Thanks

Jack E/NJ  

Spoiler
    I'm not familiar with the MS DVD/USB tool, so I don't know the answer to that question tbh. I wouldn't put my money on it being a bad connection to the MB being the issue, but it's a small possibility. As I think about it, RAM could also be an issue. The recovery media disks from are going to be very specific about what they want to do, and how they want to do it.

There are a lot of possibilities of what could be causing the problem. I don't believe it's the disks. I say that because I asked the team to validate, we see what's been sold for the AS5551, and the number of complaints that we have are limited to here at this point. For broader perspective, We've seen countless cases of users receiving 2+ sets of recovery disks, it not working, and it's easy to blame the media. We've brought in dozens of end user computers over the last couple of years in similiar situations and only once have we found an issue with the recovery media. That's why I asked the team to validate the image before I posted here.

Alright, before all of the spoiler text, I'm going to take it back to the beggining. Is the drive formatted? I would suggest formatting the drive into one big partition at this point. Then trying to recovery disks and provide results.

This discussion has been closed.