How can I type the characters printed in green colour on the keyboard of Acer aspire switch 10?

hgpuke
hgpuke Member Posts: 8 New User

My (nordic) keyboard on my Acer Aspire Switch 10 has some characters printed in green. This includes the backslash-character which I need desperately. However, I cannot find any information in the manual or elsewhere on how to access (type) these characters. Please help!

Best Answer

• hgpuke
    Answer ✓

I've now tried. Using the Fn-key would only type the characters printed in blue. The backslash was printed in green, as is the danish ae and 0-slash (ö). Explaining the problem to my wife, she wanted to give it a go. And to my surprise solved it in under one minute. I had missed that the backslash WAS ALSO printed in white on the same key as + and ? so to be able to type it, all I have to do is to hold the Alt-Gr key down while pressing this key. Stupid of me to don't see it the first time around.

Going back to the original question about the characters printed in Green, I have come to the conclusion that these are for "converting" the keyboard to a Danish country-specific layout by specifying that keyboard-layout in Windows settings. Similarly, there are some characters printed in Red. I assume these are for Norwegian.

This type of complexity is what you get when the manufacturers want to reduce the country-variants to as few as possible, I suppose.

So all is good and well here Smiley Happy

For reference, I am attaching a pic of my keyboard

Switch 10 Nordic keyboard

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Can you take a pic of your keyboard?

By the way, did you try the "Fn" key + the character you need?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • hgpuke

Thanks for the tip, will try when I get back home from work.

If it doesn't work, I will e-mail a pic of the keyboard as you suggested.

• hgpuke
    Answer ✓

I've now tried. Using the Fn-key would only type the characters printed in blue. The backslash was printed in green, as is the danish ae and 0-slash (ö). Explaining the problem to my wife, she wanted to give it a go. And to my surprise solved it in under one minute. I had missed that the backslash WAS ALSO printed in white on the same key as + and ? so to be able to type it, all I have to do is to hold the Alt-Gr key down while pressing this key. Stupid of me to don't see it the first time around.

Going back to the original question about the characters printed in Green, I have come to the conclusion that these are for "converting" the keyboard to a Danish country-specific layout by specifying that keyboard-layout in Windows settings. Similarly, there are some characters printed in Red. I assume these are for Norwegian.

This type of complexity is what you get when the manufacturers want to reduce the country-variants to as few as possible, I suppose.

So all is good and well here Smiley Happy

For reference, I am attaching a pic of my keyboard

Switch 10 Nordic keyboard

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Good that you find the solution.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Just to confirm, hgpuke is right on track. The green and red text is setup to be a reference if you're on a different keyboard layout than the original language. This is used in many countries where there are multiple common languages. In Canada, we use English as the default and provide a French alternative with the green layout. Here's an article to help with changing the keyboard layout on Windows 8.1.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32047

This discussion has been closed.