Acer Aspire x3960 - How to upgrade memory?

Options
BuzzSuffer
BuzzSuffer Member Posts: 3 New User

I am hoping someone on the forum will be able to help me. I am wanting to upgrade the memory on my Aspire x3960 (small form factor desktop) but to be honest I haven't got a clue how to do it. I am ok with buying the actual memory and know how much it will take but the problem is installing it.

I have opened the case and there doesn't appear to a way of accessing the memory without taking the DVD drive out (which I don't know how to do). Does anybody have any clue how I can do this as it is driving me around the bend. I have attached an image of what the inside looks like just in case it helps.

Acer aspire x3960

Best Answer

• BuzzSuffer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok, I've managed to sort it. I had to remove the front panel and there are 2 screws. Removing the screws allows the dvd drive & hard drive casing to slide out and then I was able to install the extra memory.

Answers

• tom85
    tom85 Member Posts: 257 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi.

You remove cooler, to get more space for install new RAM module.

Remove DVD Drive, you need to find clips on top and bottom.

Still dont think , you need to remove something to upgrade ram

RAM Memory you can chec and buy here http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

On this page you can find also tutorial how to install RAM Modules.

• BuzzSuffer
    Options

Thanks for the reply. I have seen a couple of screws on the top and bottom of the dvd drive but there doesn't seem to be a way of unscrewing them. Will it be obvious/clearly visible if there are clips? I wouldn't really know where to start with the cooler (I'm not that tech savvy, my knowledge goes as far as installing new memory (or at least I thought it did)).

• BuzzSuffer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Ok, I've managed to sort it. I had to remove the front panel and there are 2 screws. Removing the screws allows the dvd drive & hard drive casing to slide out and then I was able to install the extra memory.

This discussion has been closed.