802.11ac wifi mini-card compatible with an Aspire One AO722-C52kk

2»

Answers

• code65536
    code65536 Member Posts: 10 New User

So it's basically the status quo still: Intel card installs fine, but can't connect to anything.

If your problem is indeed the same as what I had seen in the past (and it seems increasingly likely that this is the case), then there's nothing you could do. Aside from switching to Linux, apparently. Or complaining to Intel. Because it does seem like a problem with their Windows drivers (I never did contact them, but given how many months it took them to fix a fairly common BSoD problem that people were complaining about in late 2012, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to fix this far more obscure problem; Intel may have the best hardware manufacturing around, but boy, do they suck at software and drivers.)

• DarrenHill
    DarrenHill Member Posts: 37 New User

Yup. I've now put the Broadcom 802.11n card back in, and instantly it's working fine and it even has its miniport adapter back too. So I think the Intel card is going to go back if I can arrange it, and I'll stick with 802.11n for now. Going to Linux would be a possibility, but not one I really want to do at the moment.

So it's time to clear out the install dead-wood from the factory set-up, put back everything that I had on it before and get it up and running again in a more sleek fashion (looking through the folders and seeing all the cruft from old programs etc wasn't pleasant). I might look at an 802.11ac card again in the near future, but it'll be a Broadcom or a Qualcomm/Atheros, won't be an Intel...

• DearOldDad
    DearOldDad Member Posts: 1 New User

I have had the same experience with this card as you did.  I contacted Intel and they basically referred me back to Acer as they don't support this card except for providing drivers (which don't seem to work on many machines).  I believe Acer monitors this Forum so I wonder if they have any thoughts/comments.  I would like to upgrade all the notebooks in my family to ac so I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the cards from other manufactiurers. 

• code65536
    code65536 Member Posts: 10 New User

I wouldn't count on Acer providing a solution. I first encountered this back in 2011 with an Intel 5xxx card on an Acer Revo nettop with NVIDIA ION and Atom, and I next encountered it three years later with an Intel 6xxx caard (and 5xxx card too) on an Ivy Bridge Dell with discrete NVIDIA graphics. (But it doesn't happen on a number of other NVIDIA-equipped systems). And now I've discovered from prowling on this forum that it happens with an Intel 7xxx card on one particular AMD-based netbook.

In other words, this is an issue that's been around for a while and spans a pretty diverse variety of hardware (and is not Acer-specific). My educated guess for a culprit still points to Intel's Windows driver.

This discussion has been closed.