Get more space on Acer Iconia W5 (w510) with windows 8.1 Update (25GB Free Space!!!)

aphorist
aphorist Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Our Iconia w5 can upgrade to Windows 8.1 and then to 8.1 Update.

Windows 8.1 Update have new feature call WIMBoot that you can boot directly from install.wim file in recovery partition. (see WIMBoot Overview)

What you will get with this tutorial.

1. More free space up to 25 GB (with clean windows 8.1 update install and no another apps)
  2. Recovery patition that you can reset your w5 to new fresh clean windows (clean install) (You don't need anything just tab and tab and wait with a cup of coffee)

Need to know.

• This tutorial is for Acer Iconia w510 but it can be apply to another series of iconia tab please try.(I think you can install and can boot but you need to install some driver manually.)
  • This need to wipe all your partition layout, Plead back up your file to safe place
  • Need to upgrade bios of your tablet to new release version (Download from acer website or here for w510
  • You don't need windows key 'cause this windows will automatic activated because your license embed in you bios

Prepare

• You need a 4GB or bigger thumbdrive (Wee will format it please use a blank thumbdrive)
  • Recovery Image for windows 8.1 update Down load here (This recovery image I created from original recovery dvd of mine)
  • Tools to creat bootable thumb drive. Rufus (included in package or down load here)
Continue next reply...

Answers

• aphorist

I can't edit my post so I will post Screen shot here.

wimboot.jpg

• aphorist

At first post you need 7zip to extract file. (File password is "aphorist" if present!)

Solution.

1. Extract file. You will see 2 file in there. The "iso" file and "rufus"
      ".iso" file is not bootable please don't burn it. you need to use rufus to extract content of iso to thumbdrive and make it bootable with uefi.
    2. Rufus. Open rufus Select your thumdrive (Device) set partition scheme and target system type to GPT partition ...
      Select ISO image from extract folder
      Then Click Start. Wait for Process Finished
      rufus
      Thanks picture from Nexttowindows.com

3. Prepare your tablet with usb boot need to config uefi bios.
      1. Shutdown you tablet. 
      2. When your table shutdown completly. Hold down volum down button ----> then Hold down power button ---> when acer screen appear release all button.
        20140629_092648.jpg

3. UEFI appear. Go to Security and set supervisor password. (If you don't set u will not able to disable safeboot and can't boot to usb thumbdrive)
        (PLEASE REMEMBER YOUR PASSWORD CAFULLY!!!!)
        20140629_092745.jpg

4. Go to Boot and set Secuboot to Disable. Then move USB HDD: to upper.
        20140629_092922.jpg

5. Go to Exit and select Exit saving changes. Your tablet will restart and boot as normally. Please shutdown again.
        (No picture!!! Smiley Tongue)

4. Connect your recovery thumb drive(from step 2).For sure you can remove you mini-sd card now. Then power on your tablet. And Wait.......
    5. In boot process you don't need to do anything it will boot to your recovery thumdrive when it completed you will see command prompt.

(This is windows PE : I add touch drive and docking driver to PE so you can use your dock to type command. If you don't have docking you need usb hub and usb keyboard. I suggest you use micro usb hub like this)
      Micro-font-b-USB-b-font-2-0-font-b-4pin-b-font-OTG-Hub-for.jpg
    6. In the command box. Type.
         > d:
         > install
      The script will wipe your drive and create it in wimboot partition layout then apply image for you. This time you need a cup of coffee.
      (This script I edit from microsoft original script to suit our iconia w5)
    7. When completed your tablet will reboot automatically and COMPLETED!!!!
    8. Do thing what you need with your tablet.
  • aphorist

From now you don't need any recovery DVD or Recovery ThumbDrive to reset your tablet !!

Just reset your tablet with Recovery option in your Windows 8.1

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Enjoy!!!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer

Very nice! Thank you for the info.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • aphorist

Sure.
    If you completed with your tablet please let me know with your screen shot.

Smiley Very Happy

• kremf
    kremf Member Posts: 2 New User

Maaaaaan, I just registered to thank you! Smiley Happy

Your bios link isn't working in the description. And on my first install i got a bluescreen.

But i tried it again and now i got over 20Gigs of free Space Smiley Very Happy

• aphorist

You'r welcome.

Yes bios link removed by moderator. Because I link to file instead.

• kremf
    kremf Member Posts: 2 New User

now i got a problem, i can't change thy system language?! it says that it is not available for this windows edition.

• aphorist

This is windows 8.1 update singlelanguage that can't change system language.

What language that you need to change to?

• aphorist

Or you can step with this tutorial.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn613858.aspx

• ouchyoung
    ouchyoung Member Posts: 4 New User

Thank you so much for releasing this! I really appreciate it and wan to use this to reinstall my W510, however, I cannot download the file from Gdrive as I'm now in China, whose goverment has blocked all google servers. Would you please do me a favor to upload this file to a webdisk available in China? Thanks!

As I know, Gdrive, dropbox, sugarsync, etc. are all blocked here in China, but skydrive, box, and some local webdisk such as Baidu Cloud, Kingsoft Cloud and 360 cloud are available worldwide. But the local ones may lead to language problems... Any how, I wish we can figure out a way :-)

The local webdisk links are, hope this would be helpful:

Baidu Cloud: http://pan.baidu.com

Kingsoft Cloud: http://www.kuaipan.cn

360 cloud: http://yunpan.360.cn/

Thank you again for your contribution to us!

• kirankp25
    kirankp25 Member Posts: 49 Troubleshooter

Am I going to get Genuine os on doing this?

• aphorist

Windows License of w510 is on bios of your device. (For windows 8, 8.1 and 8.1 update | SKU Single language)

No need to activated because it activated automatically.

And yes you get Genuine.

• aphorist

@ouchyoung

Can you access OneDrive(skydrive)?

If yes i will upload to this cloud.

• ouchyoung

Yes, I can. Thank you so much!

• aphorist

File size limit of OneDrive is 2GB.

Now still compressed iso to part of files.

You can use 7zip to extract it.

• ouchyoung

Great! I guess you split the package with 7z, didn't you?

Thank you!

• Leonid
    Leonid Member Posts: 121 Troubleshooter

Hi Aphorist, Do you think this would apply to the W3-810 w/8.1 or any other tablet with 8.1?

• aphorist

Yes, It can apply to other tablet.

But you need to install driver manually.