Acer E1-731-4699: No options for Elantech Touchpad - This is killing me!

Options
discgolfdc
discgolfdc Member Posts: 28 New User

Model: Acer Aspire E1-731-4699

Screenshot - Mouse Control Panel

I've installed the appropriate Elantech driver for the touchpad on my laptop (from Acer site), but when I go to the "ELAN" tab in the Mouse Control Panel, the "Options" tab is grayed out and unable to be selected.

I'd really like to be able to set things like sensitivity, turn off "tap" on the pad, etc., because when I type, if the pads of my thumbs come NEAR the touchpad (they don't even have to touch it!), the cursor jumps to wherever the pointer is on the screen.  I've seen this sensitivity issue on other laptops, but I am at a loss as to how to address it here with the options disabled.

The only thing I can reasonably see here is to use a USB mouse and disable the touchpad, but I'd like to be able to use my touchpad if I so choose.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Best Answer

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

If that option is not available, then I would think this is not an ELANTECH touch pad. I show that this product had the option to ship with three different touchpads. I would recommend trying one of the other drivers listed. The driver download page shows ELANTECH, ALPS, and Synaptics.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

If that option is not available, then I would think this is not an ELANTECH touch pad. I show that this product had the option to ship with three different touchpads. I would recommend trying one of the other drivers listed. The driver download page shows ELANTECH, ALPS, and Synaptics.

• discgolfdc
    Options
    The Elantech driver is the only one I see. Hmmm... I'll check the PCI database for my part # and see if I need a driver not available to me.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options

It may be an Alps touchpad, because your snip shows "Standard PS2 mouse" instead of "Elan Smartpad", you can try different drivers and see whether any of them works.

Capture 101.JPG

• discgolfdc
    Options

OK, I now see the three different drivers.  After searching my Device Manager for a Hardware ID, all I get is "ACPI\AUI2013", which turns up nothing in PCIDatabase (go figure).

I've DL'ed all three drivers and will see if any of them seem to do the magic.

• discgolfdc
    Options

It would appear that the touchpad is an Alps-manufactured device.  All options are available through its settings, which include Tap-off while typing, which is awesome.  This is the problem I sought to fix in the first place.  The touchpad would cause the cursor to jump to wherever the pointer was in the middle of my typing something, which was ridiculously inconvenient.

Thanks, all, for your help.  I probably should have known better, but when I created the driver CD from my on-board software, the driver it gave me was the Elantech one.  Shoulda checked support's website first!

• discgolfdc
    Options

Next issue with this...

After I installed the ALPS driver from the Acer site, the first time I rebooted the computer, I got four "Do you want to run this program" dialog boxes.  One for each of the following EXEs:

Apoint.exe

ApMsgFwd.exe

ApntEx.exe

HidFind.exe

All of these files are located in the C:\Program Files\APoint2K folder which gets installed with the ALPS installation package, so I have no worries that they are anything malicious.

The problem, however, is that ANY time I turn my computer on, now, I get the "Do you want to run this program" dialog boxes.  This doesn't seem like normal behavior for driver software.  If it has to run some executables on startup in order for it to function, I'd think that this should all take place behind-the-scenes like all the others.

Anyone have any ideas with regard to this?  I don't want to have to click "Yes" four times every time I start up.

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.