Acer 3810tz

kaedee
kaedee Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Hello All,

Searched the forums here and nothing has worked so far so I am asking in new message.

I have a Aspire 3810tz and its internal hard drive died on me so I replaced with a spare 128gb ssd that I had. I have another copy of Windows OS and installed with another key; I have all of the windows updates applied as of today. I have another Acer (5750?) and used that laptop to create a drivers/applications CD. I used that CD to install all applicable apps and drivers. 

Everything worked out well except the webcam driver/app. I have tried to download from Bison and Suyin(?) and also the support page for my laptop. At first the installer would not see the camera and stopped installing all together. After some searches I was able to get the software installed but everytime I launch it, the window appears but there is no video from the webcam nor does the green indicator led light up. The app also crashes if I press the Settings button.

My question is if anybody has this issue and any possible solutions. Also, I am looking for the on-screen display that indicates when I press CAPS LOCK or WAN, etc.

Finally, on the Acer 5750 the NUM LOCK also defaults to OFF whenever I restart the notebook, usually there is a bios setting but I do not see one, comments?

KD

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon

kaedee,

It is not advised to use the drivers/applications CD from another product because each device has its own drivers and configuration. If you got it work that is fine but we advise that you use the recovery media meant for that specific product as it will have all the necessary files and drivers. If you do not have it, you can purchase it from the Acer Store.

In most cases the CAPS lock indicator is part of the OEM software load and if it is not working I suggest reloading the OEM software.

As for the camera if you are using the OEM software and it still is not working, then it could be a hardware issue with the camera itself. One test you can do is try installing Skype or another video chat software that utilizes a camera.

• kaedee

Tinkerer

Ryan,

I used the drivers from an acer 5740-5255 and like I said most everything that I needed worked "out of the box" except the trackpad and camera. I downloaded the trackpad software from the manf website and it works for the most part. The camera would not work. I tried the Acer support page software that is available for the 3810tz website, all three of them that are listed; none worked. Then I went to the Buffalo and Suyin(?) download pages and still no luck.

The Acer support software, when trying to install, always reports that there is no camera present. I will try loading Skype and will update afterwards.

As far as the OSD the 3810tz does not display them at all which is fine, I'd like it to work and I will try to use some utility to recover the recovery partition on the failed drive. On the 5740 I have run the recovery partition and everything works as expected, it is just that when I restart the laptop, the num lock does not stay ON it resets back to OFF. On my desktop and other laptops I can preset the NumLock in the Bios, but I do not see that option on the 5740 bios.

If you have any questions/suggestions ask away.

kaedee

• kaedee

Tinkerer

Ryan,

Just to update the thread, I installed skype and it works fine; I am able to make video calls and the person 

was able to see me perfectly.

KD

This discussion has been closed.