ACER Aspire 5742 i5 with 16GB of RAM?

domusonline
domusonline Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

I own an Acer Aspire 5742 i5 model, currently with 8GB of RAM.

I tried to install two 8GB DDR3 modules but the machine won't work. It will boot, but crashes on Ubuntu when I log in.

I tried memtest86 and it crashes almost immediately.

I already upgraded BIOS to the latest version I could find (1.30), but no luck...

When I go into BIOS it notices the extra memory, although the display only shows 4 characters (6384 instead of 16384).

I tried just one of the 8GB modules, one of them together with another 4GB (12GB total) etc. All attempts resulted in the same way:Boot, but crash.

I know officially it only supports 8GB, but the other laptop where I'm writing this is also an i5 that officially goes up to only 8GB, but it's currently happy with the same memory modules...

So, I'm wondering.... is it really impossible to have 16GB on this model? Or is there any workaround? I looked everywhere (that Google takes me....) and I couldn't find any solution...

At least I'd like to know the reason why it won't work... BIOS?, Chipset? CPU?

Many thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,050 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hello domusonline,

You said "I own an Acer Aspire 5742 i5 model". For example, the Intel Core i5-480M Processor ---> Maxi memory size: 8GB.

Check your processor model on the Intel webside. 

France

Answers

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓

Hello domusonline,

You said "I own an Acer Aspire 5742 i5 model". For example, the Intel Core i5-480M Processor ---> Maxi memory size: 8GB.

Check your processor model on the Intel webside. 

France
  • domusonline

Great... Not what I was hoping, but clear answer. Thanks.

In fact if memory serves me right (I'm not near that Acer equipment), it has a i5 460M and that one shows max 8GB.

My "other" laptop is also an i5, but 2520M, and it shows 16GB.
    I suppose that explains it all... I do feel a bit stupid, but to be honest I'm not used to check hardware specs... I work mostly on servers (unix) and they all support very large ammounts of RAM... I forgot Intel x86* has these issues.

And although I discussed this with some people before buying the RAM no one mention this... Some said, "yeah... with a BIOS upgrade", other "Yeah... why not?", and others "No", but didn't explain why Smiley Happy

So I'll just have to stick them here... not my preferred scenario, but it will do. Thanks, both for the clear answer and for the speed also!
    Regards.

• vvprad
    vvprad Member Posts: 246 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi...

The maximum memory that a computer supports is not related with the processor installed on it. It's related with the motherboard architechture, data controls and such factors. As I know, this laptop supports only up 8 GB memory. You will not be able to install 16 GB memory on this laptop.

Here is the type of memory: DDR3 800/1066Mhz SDRAM.

• domusonline

I suppose you have to explain that to Intel Smiley Happy

http://ark.intel.com/products/50179/Intel-Core-i5-460M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_53-GHz?q=i5%20460M

vs (for example)

http://ark.intel.com/products/52229/Intel-Core-i5-2520M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-3_20-GHz?q=i5%202520

Maybe it has to do with the chipset used in/by the CPU... I don't really know, but the site seems clear.

Regards

• laurent_14

Hello domusonline,

To confirm what I said, see the Intel H55 Express chipset platform block diagram.

France
This discussion has been closed.