Acer 5749 wont boot

Options
bobcr
bobcr Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi all,

My acer 5749 flashed up a blue screen while I was loading some movie files from a usb stick the blue screen was one of those blue screen of death ones but it went off so fast I didnt have time to read it. The laptop then shut down.

I tried to reboot and got a black screen with a solid white cursor top left.

Looked at the bios and it is recognising the hard drive as there is a model name and serial number listed but it wont boot.

I dont have the original OS disc to try that.

I did drop the laptop a week or so earlier on to the floor and wondered if its connected to that so took out the hdd and reseated it, reset the bios to default settings and sometimes it comes up with a screen saying

FOR ATHEOS PCIE ETHERNET CONTROLLER V2.0.2.7 (11/02/10)

CHECK CABLE CONNECTION!

PXE: MOF EXITING INTEL PXE ROM

NO BOOTABLE DEVICE INSERT BOOT DISK

and sometimes its just the black screen with solid cursor/horizontal dash at top left.

Is this the hdd thats duff and how can I check the disk before I get a new one or could it be something else ?

Bob

Best Answer

• bobcr
    Answer ✓
    Options

All done and running perfect now thanks !

Yes the iso worked it just asked me for the windows product key and to verify I had to do it by phone as at the time I had no drivers so no net connection but all seems to be working fine now and no yellow exclamation marks, thanks for the advice

Bob

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,138 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello Bob,

Your system can't find the bootable device (HDD), so it tries to boot using PXE-boot(network boot option).

When you had only a cursor on the black screen, it means the device is not bootable (same issue).

In first, it's necessary to check your Hard Disk Drive (Seatools works with any brands):

Tools and file:

1- Download the file Seatools for dos version V1.12 (Text) - ISO CD-ROM IMAGE: SeaToolsDOS112.ISO

2- Download ISO Toolkit (portable version - no install): ISOToolkit.zip

3- Download Win32 Disk Imager (portable version - no install): Win32 Disk Imager

Procedure:

1- Format your USB key with the Windows Disk Manager in FAT32.

2- Execute ISO Toolkit --> Extract image tab, you extract SeaToolsDOS112.ISO in a folder.

3- In this folder, rename SeaTools.ima --> SeaTools.img

4- Execute Win32 Disk Imager, write Image File: SeaTools.img (new one) on your usb key.

Normally, you'll find these files and folder on your USB key:

Image-1.jpg

5- Boot on your USB key

6- Make Short (touch S) and Long (touche L) test only.

7- To quit the program CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot.

Seatools tutorial: Here

There is an other diagnostic tools for:

France
  • bobcr
    Options

I tried Seatools and some other recovery/disk testing software I got from a cd and none of them can see a hard disc on my laptop so does this mean the disc drive is kaput  and if i order another one the same type is it easy to install it ?

I asked Acer support and they said they can send a disc with recovery media to reload the operating system as the laptop didnt come with a os cd but I would guess if the hdd is duff this would be a waste of time ?

If I put in a new hdd would I have to get the recovery disc from Acer or could i just get an operating systems disc from anywhere and load that say windows 7 like it was originally ?

Bob

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

1. Remove and install the HDD: 
          It isn't very complicated. In the same time, you'll be able to check if it moved after the drop.
    2. Clean the HDD connectors:
          After you removed it, you can clean the HDD connectors with an air duster or spray duster. Re-install and make a try.
    3. Defective HDD and erecovery media:
          Of course it's useless.
          To be sure to 100%, the best way is to test it in USB external bay.
    4. Operating system:
          Your laptop license is only valid with erecovery media (pre-installed windows). Of course you can choice another OS 
          (an original version). If you think to an ISO Image, it doesn't work every time with this license type... try and see.
    5. HDD models for Aspire 5749:
          Indicate me your HDD capacity (320, 500, 640 or 750GB) and I'll give you the parts number. 
    6. I send you a private message.

France
  • bobcr
    Options

Your help is much appreciated

Bob

• bobcr
    Options

Hi

I managed to find out with some hdd checking software that the hdd was no good so bought another exactly the same make and model and fitted it  and downloaded a mirror copy of windows7and burned it with imgburn on to a cd after a few tries managed to load windows ok but the problem I have now is that in device manager the ethernet controller, the network controller, the pci simple communications controller and the SM Bus controller are all listed under other devices with yellow exclamation marks and I cant connect to the internet as it shows no connections available and when I troubleshoot it says I need to install a driver for the network adapter but I have no connection  to try and search for updated drivers.

Can anyone advise how I can sort this and get the laptop to recognise these devices ?

Do I need to download some drivers to a stick or disc on another computer and if so which ones ?

Bob

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello Bob,

You need to install all drivers listed on your Acer download center (support). The problem is the bluetooth and wireless drivers (4 brands). You should have noted the part numbers when you mounted the HDD.

When all drivers will be installed, you'll have no mark "!" in the Device Manager.

For information: The mirror copy works with the pre-installed license?

France
  • bobcr
    Answer ✓
    Options

All done and running perfect now thanks !

Yes the iso worked it just asked me for the windows product key and to verify I had to do it by phone as at the time I had no drivers so no net connection but all seems to be working fine now and no yellow exclamation marks, thanks for the advice

Bob

This discussion has been closed.