Aspire XC-600 (XC-603) Disable UEFI

Options
SalvR
SalvR Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, I have an Aspire XC-603 with P11-A3 bios, and I'd like, for some reasons, to boot from a bootable USB or DVD that is not a windows 8 installer.

I know I need to disable "Secure Boot" and enable "Launch CSM" bios options, but the only option I see in the bios is just the "Secure Boot".

So the problem maybe is: I still have the UEFI actived in the bios, I think because the "Launch CMS" option is hidden and disabled.

Here ( http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27045/kw/UEFI ) I readed to push the DEL button just turning the pc ON, but that will not work for me (the pc continue booting win8). I can enter in the bios just when I do a warm win8 REBOOT, maybe the problem can be here too ? ( maybe the CMS option will un-hide just from a cold TURN ON ? )

I tried too disabling AHCI.

Thanks

Answers

• SalvR
    SalvR Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

so.. is this just a UEFI locked PC ? Acer was just breaking the PC-Compatible meaning ? Why ?

• squish102
    squish102 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Not sure if you still looking for a soution. I hate the fact that it is locked down to windows 8. So far I have had limited success in going to the bios download page, selecting "all" and grabbing the A1 bios version and burning that with windows 8.1

That allows you to switch off Secure boot and set bios CSM to Always and I have managed to install Ubuntu 14.04 booting from dvd drive.

• squish102
    squish102 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

With other distro's like debian, I get to the boot spash screen but as soon as I touch a key, it reboots. Wish I could figure out why.

• jcapodieci
    jcapodieci Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Try this 'perhaps':

Unplug from wall!!! Open the box and disconnect the hard disk power cable. Then, plug the computer into wall power and restart. Finding no disk drive should cause a bios failure state and by pressing the del key should allow you to enter the bios menu. Then go to the 'boot' menu and change the boot order to allow booting from cd/dvd first then the hard disk.

It looks like the Intel bios boots directly from the hard disk in Win 8 without presenting the logo 'Acer' screen that allows the 'del' key from being pressed to boot to the bios screen. This latest release from Intel/MS/Acer makes a very secure PC, no one without the password can even boot and copy/corrupt files. However it makes it impossible to backup or restore from 3rd party software companies like Norton or Acronis.

Gerald

• jcapodieci
    jcapodieci Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

OMG I DISCOVERED THE SECRETE TO GETTING TO THE BIOS. The Acer logo only appears on a screen connected to the HDMI port. Follow procedure described by ACER to access the BIOS and reset the boot order. I was using a regular RGB monitor and only a blank screen appears. Several weeks of trying proved useless till left a projector on and plugged into the HDMI port when booting from a cold start.. Then the Acer logo appeared on it only. Pressing the Del key got me to a restore screen fro which I could restore from backup or cancel and just reset the bios from the 'Trouble shoot' option. I can explain further if need be.

Gerald 

This discussion has been closed.