Seagate Barracuda drive not recognized by Win7 installation disk

Options
GardenLadyToo
GardenLadyToo Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi!  I'm trying to recover/change the password on my brother's Aspire M34706, which uses a Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS hard drive.  (Yes, I know, he should have made a password recovery disc, but didn't.)  This drive is driven by firmware from the bus, and doesn't seem to have a software driver available.

The problem I'm having is, I can't seem to find the driver file or equivalent for this drive, or a software driver I could load from removable media.  Therefore, I can't address or edit the user file, not through msconfig.exe, not using a recovery program, nada.  I get as far as "load drivers", then I'm stuck.  I can view the contents of the hard drive, but don't know the path or name of the driver I need to load.

Anyone got any idea of the filename and path (in a standard-issue Acer OEM installation of Win 7)?  Or any other idea how to access the needful file?

Best Answer

• GardenLadyToo
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, guys and gals!  I managed to solve my own problem without having to do a restore.

After much rummaging around the Acer site, I found driver packages, zipped, for current drivers for all their models of computers for about the last 3 years.  I downloaded it, unzipped it to a flash drive, booted from the Win7 installation disk, loaded the drivers off the flash drive, and after all that, with a minor hack, was able to activate the hidden administrator account and use it to reset my brother's password.  That last part took only 10 minutes.

The problem about not being able to write to the hard drive was because my bro hadn't run the firmware update for the main bus, which I now have taken care of.  So now I'm a happy camper, he's a happy camper, and all is well. 

That's all, just letting you know in case anyone else encounters a similar hard drive problem:  Complete driver packages are available from the Acer tech support site, just search on your precise model number.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

hi...

If you wish to backup you can take the hard drive off your computer and slave boot it with another computer and you will then be able to transfer the files from your computer's hard disk to another one..

If you wish to restore your computer,  you can use Acer Recovery Management to reinstall your Operating System from a hidden partition built into your computer. Recovery media is not necessary to recover your computer.

During the process, all data stored on your computer will be overwritten. This means all your files, such as email and photos, will be erased. Therefore, we recommend making a backup of all personal data before starting the recovery process..

Use the following steps to start the system recovery:

1. Restart the computer.
    2. When the Acer logo appears on the screen, press the left Alt, and the F10 keys.
    3. If you are prompted with a Microsoft Windows boot screen, press the Enter key.
    4. After the Acer eRecovery Management application has loaded, select your restore type.
    5. Read the notice, and then click Next when you are ready.
    6. Click Next to begin the restore process.
    The restore can take anywhere from 10 minutes up to an hour.Once the restore is complete your computer will load Windows and start installing your drivers and software. Your computer may reboot several times during this process. After everything is complete your computer will be like it was when you first purchased it.

• GardenLadyToo
    Options

Alas, I can't even see the Acer recovery partiton.  All I can see is a drive named X:, which is the entire C: partition.  Heck, I can even see the users file that I could manually edit if I could only access it.

Would you by any chance know the name and location of the driver for the main bus itself?  Maybe just loading the driver for the bus will find the drive?

As for installing a different master drive and slaving the one I'm trying to access, I considered that but don't have a spare drive available.

Any other ideas?  Anyone?

• GardenLadyToo
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi, guys and gals!  I managed to solve my own problem without having to do a restore.

After much rummaging around the Acer site, I found driver packages, zipped, for current drivers for all their models of computers for about the last 3 years.  I downloaded it, unzipped it to a flash drive, booted from the Win7 installation disk, loaded the drivers off the flash drive, and after all that, with a minor hack, was able to activate the hidden administrator account and use it to reset my brother's password.  That last part took only 10 minutes.

The problem about not being able to write to the hard drive was because my bro hadn't run the firmware update for the main bus, which I now have taken care of.  So now I'm a happy camper, he's a happy camper, and all is well. 

That's all, just letting you know in case anyone else encounters a similar hard drive problem:  Complete driver packages are available from the Acer tech support site, just search on your precise model number.

This discussion has been closed.