My Acer Aspire One D257 refuses to download!

Options
Atomicus11
Atomicus11 Member Posts: 13 New User
D257-13450 model with Windows 7 starter and upgraded to IE 11, tried dowwnloading adobe reader xi but after clicking on the download option the browser redirects but he he download doesn't begin ... auto updated windows (hence getting ie 11) but no change ... went to google and tried dl chrome but same thing happened ... went to cnet and found a registry cleaner thinking there might be a null key in there somewhere, but no change ... tried to dl Firefox but same issue again ... now I'm in the hospital (well, my wife is, and I'm just sitting here helpless) and trying to connect to the free WiFi - I get the validation screen, agree to the terms, redirects me to the logging in screen and then hangs just like the downloads ... I hard line in at home and have had this occur in the past, but never this bad ... please help!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,623 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>went to cnet and found a registry cleaner thinking there might be a null key in there somewhere, but no change>>>

Does this mean that you downloaded, installed and ran the registry cleaner from cnet? 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Atomicus11
    Options
    Yeah ... I can download infrequently ... windows updates are fine along with any site that doesn't require a redirect ... it seems, this is the case when connecting to the hospital wifi ... messed with all sorts of IE setttins too
  • JackE
    Options

A browser security setting probably needs to be relaxed.

As a workaround, are you able to copy the re-direction site address in the address bar with Ctrl + C? If so, you may be able to paste it with Ctrl + V in a new browser window address bar to start the download.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Atomicus11
    Options
    Tried the old cut'n'paste ... tried tweaking browser/firewall settings ... unless I'm missing something obvious ...? When I debug these redirect buttons, I find the same result (should have written it down -something like void(null:0) - which I don't precisely know if it's related. ...?
  • Atomicus11
    Options
    Btw - the void(null:0) doesn't seem to show up when I view source ...
  • JackE
    Options

>>>tried tweaking browser/firewall settings ... unless I'm missing something obvious ...?>>>

Probably not too obvious. Keep tweaking. It's in there somewhere. I'd be tempted to temporarily set all browser and firewall settings to the minimum security possible and try again.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Atomicus11
    Options
    Sure would love to take advantage of the free wifi here ... gonna be a long recovery ... bump
  • JackE
    Options

Sorry to hear that. Hope it's shorter than expected.

How about asking the staff if anyone might know who manages the WiFi or IT? If they've got a webpage, the contact info might be buried there somewhere. I think IT would probably know how you might get over, under or otherwise around the redirection/download blockade.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Atomicus11
    Options
    True, but noone has responded all week. ....Smiley Sad
  • JackE
    Options

I just googled the names of a few nearby hospitals along with the keyword "administration". They all gave me the names and phones of the operating and information systems chiefs along with a bunch of other wigs. You might try the same thing to get someone there to help unblock the redirection downloads.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Atomicus11
    Options
    Tux for all your help ... rolling back drivers now ... using my Galaxy s III tethered
  • Atomicus11
    Options
    Ok .... just tried to do adobe flash player from adobe. No joy. Search for flash player no redirect - bam download no problem. Wtf. Is there a setting for this?
  • JackE
    Options

>>>bam download no problem>>>

What does this mean?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Atomicus11
    Options
    It means when I went to a no redirect site I could dl w/o problems
  • Atomicus11
    Options

So happy right now! Traced it to the McAfee internet security package I never authenticated ... seems it was hung after I removed the search bar from IE and it still wanted to validate ... tried to uninstall from control panel and it hung repeatedly ... after some searching found a McAfee removal tool which thankfully I was able to dl ... now working like lightning ... hello NETFLIX!!!

• JackE
    Options

Congrats, man! I use McAfee's standalone Stinger freeware rather than running any fulltime backgrounders that're usually more trouble than they're worth as you now know. Just hafta be more careful about willy-nilly clicking on links and opening downloads without first checking them out. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Atomicus11
    Options
    The McAfee internet ***** was on there when I got the aspire ... never authenticated it because - aside from antivirus - these kinda things are just a money grab
This discussion has been closed.