ACER v3-571G touchpad issues after Windows 8.1 update

Options
lipase
lipase Member Posts: 9 New User

Hi guys, I'm hoping that someone here could help me out.

I just upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1, and immediately afterwards began to experience issues with my touchpad... It works, but too well.

I can't disable it via control panel. I can't upgrade the driver...  I tried to delete the driver, but then my laptop required a restart, and upon starting up again, the pad is fully functioning and not deleted.  When I try to go into the properties and disable / enable any options, upon restarting the computer these modifications are lost and I'm back to square one.

help... please?  

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,622 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Make sure you got the Acer drivers directory pointed at the V3-571G for Win8.1 64-bit.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

Press and hold the WinKey and then press the R key. Run main.cpl. Try to adjust or disable from this tool.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• lipase
    Options

disabling it through the mouse properties doesn't work. I tried it before this suggestion, and immediately upon reading it, with the same result.

When I hit "apply" to make changes, the changes stick until the laptop restarts... So, even though it shows that my Elan Smart-Pad on port PS/2 is DISABLED, I still use the touchpad navigate around my laptop, WITH my USB mouse plugged in, even though I have "disable when external USB pointing device plug in" checked.

I have driver ETDWare PS/2-X64 11.6.8.001_WHQL

• JackE
    Options

lipase>>>I can't disable it via control panel.>>>

Have you tried to uninstall the Elan driver from control panel's program list yet? 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lipase
    Options

I uninstalled the elan program via the control panel. I then restarted the computer. I still have full functionality of touchpad, and the elan program remains in the program list with an install date that aligns with the day I upgraded from 8 to 8.1

• JackE
    Options

OK, sounds like you gotta stubborn Elan uninstaller or remnants of what's left from the original Win8 list.

So open explorer. Go to one of the C:\program files directories. Look for an Elan subdirectory. Re-name, don't delete, this sub-directory. Put on your safety goggles and a construction helmet. Then try to re-start windows. Report back if you're still with us. 8^) 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

One more thing you might try before re-naming the elan sub-directory.

Run msconfig and check the startup menu to make sure the elan software is unchecked. If it re-checks itself, then it's time to re-name the sub-directory.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lipase
    Options

No elan sub dir in programs or program files (x86), and no entry in startup of msconfig

• JackE
    Options

OK. Next, look for an entry in the bios and try to disable it from there.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lipase
    Options

shutdown computer. started computer. hit f2 to get into bios. couldn't find anything that relates to the touchpad.

• JackE
    Options

OK, next try Fn + F7 touchpad toggle combo.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• lipase
    Options

fn+f7 works to toggle

• JackE
    Options

But what you really want is the Fn+F7 toggle to be normally off instead of normally on when you boot. Correct?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lipase
    Options

well...

I want my pad to work the way that it's supposed to, every time.  I don't want to have to reconfigure the driver / properties / control program every time I restart my computer.  currently anytime I try to change the way that it acts, said changes are lost after restarting the computer.  

I use this laptop for dj'ing on... I need the pad because my usb's are full when I'm at a gig so I can't use a mouse like at home.  

so, ultimately I'm looking for a driver / program that works the way it's supposed to.

• JackE
    Options

OK. This may sound redundant. But have you tried downloading and installing Acer Support's latest 64-bit 8.1 elantech driver?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lipase
    Options

I downloaded this: 

TouchPadELANTECHTouchpad Driver10.6.9.9175.0 MB2012/03/29

from acer earlier today. didn't help with the issue. If you could point me in the direction of one that actually works, that'd be AWESOME

• JackE
    Options

This one

TouchPadELANTECHTouchpad Driver11.6.27.201123.2 MB2013/10/12

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

Make sure you got the Acer drivers directory pointed at the V3-571G for Win8.1 64-bit.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• lipase
    Options

complete user error... I see I had downloaded the win7 driver...

I downloaded the correct driver... now it's showing as enabled, and I retoggled the pad and it works great.

I sincerely appreciate your help.

• JackE
    Options

Ya' done good! Congrats.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.