Windows 8 name group start screen W3-810

Options
rdwray
rdwray Member Posts: 17 New User

To name a group on the start screen in Windows 8 the dash must be present in the botton right corner. It has appeared a couple of times while playing around, but does not seem a consistant way to access it. The scroll bar at the bottom of the start screen is just a thin line. How do I get the dash to appear consistantly?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

I can't remember for sure with Windows 8, but for 8.1 you swipe down from the top to bring up the 'Customize' option.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rdwray
    Options

This model (1416) will not accept 8.1, it crashes after 3 taps; it may be some program I install. What I have found so far is that you can only change the group name is when you first open the start screen and tap the very bottom right corner; sometimes that doesn't even work.

I hope that you heard that 8.1 will not receive security updates if you don't install their patch by May 13 - google it.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

rdwray wrote:

I hope that you heard that 8.1 will not receive security updates if you don't install their patch by May 13 - google it.

Just backwards, they require the upgrade from 8 to 8.1 by May 13th.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rdwray
    Options

You might want to do some research. Here are quotes:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_update/windows-81-update-failing-to-configure-revert-back/6aa26c7d-9a1a-4184-a2aa-922bb3979b63?page=2:

------------------------------------------------

If you're running Windows 8.0 now, you'll have until January 2016 to upgrade the 8.1

What will happen on May 13 though is that if you're already running Windows 8.1, but don't install the 8.1 Update, you won't get anymore security updates and hotfixes.

-------------------------------------

The Windows 8.1 Update a.k.a. KB2919355 remains available and can be downloaded via Windows Update, or you can get it manually from here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42335

But if you haven't installed it by May 13 which is the next Patch Tuesday, then any security patches will be marked as not applicable to your system unless you're running Windows 8.0

This discussion has been closed.