Headphones not recognized in Windows 8

Options
skeeterfly
skeeterfly Member Posts: 2 New User

I just purchased the Acer Predator G3605. When I plug my headphones in, they are not recognized. The playback devices still only show speakers. Anyone have a fix for this?

Answers

• ajay_1988
    ajay_1988 Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    This problem might be hardware or software issue. I am providing below the steps to eliminate any software related issue, viz. Drivers Issue. Please uninstall the Audio Drivers from the Device Manager and restart the computer to load generic Windows 8 Drivers. To uninstall the Audio Driver from Device Manager:

1. From the Start screen press the "Windows Key" + X. If you have a mouse, right click the bottom left side of the screen.
    2. Select "Device Manager" from the menu that appears.
    3. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".
    4. Right Click the device listed here.
    5. Click "Uninstall".
    6. Restart the computer and check if the audio jack is working.

Do reply with results.
  • ajay_1988
    ajay_1988 Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Try Even This

This may happen when you have the external speakers set to default.

Perform the task mentioned below to set headphones as default:

1. On the start screen of windows 8 press the ‘Windows key + X’ key on the keyboard and then click on control panel and then Hardware and sound option.
    2. Click in Sound, then a new window will open up.
    3. In the new windows click on the tab "Playback" and right click in the window and click on Show Disabled devices.
    4. Now check if headphones are listed there and right click on it and choose enable.
    5. Highlight that headphones and click on "Set as Default".
  • skeeterfly
    skeeterfly Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I had to buy a soundcard to fix the issue. I tried everything else. Speakers are now plugged into the soundcard and headphones in the front jack. Set headphones as default so the speakers turn off when I plug them in. Now I can switch between speakers and headphones in all programs that have that feature. 

This discussion has been closed.