Iconia W4 supports VT-x?

Options
sbc10620
sbc10620 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I have some questions about Iconia W4.

Iconia W4 supports Intel virtualization technology(VT-x)? I know Z3740 processor supports it, but i'm not sure whether or not can enable VT-x in bios of Iconia W4.

And can I install another OS on Iconia W4? for example, ubuntu linux or android-x86.

Thanks.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

I was going to try Hyper-V when I had a W4 to evaluate for a while, but never got around to it. There are virtualization platforms that don't require changing the BIOS though, so you may be able to get it working even if you can't get it on in the BIOS.

Running a different OS, other than in a Virtual machine under Windows, isn't going to work though. There are special drivers used to control the passive cooling that haven't been ported to other OSes yet, so running Linux or Android is likely to cause overheating issues. It's also a real pain to completely disable the UEFI BIOS security, so installing another OS would be problematic.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • sbc10620
    sbc10620 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you for your kind reply.
    By the way, is there any way to disable UEFI security?
    Should I hack the bios? How can I do that?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

It is possible to disable the UEFI security, but not really worthwhile since you can only reliably running Windows 8 or 8.1, where the security is beneficial...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
This discussion has been closed.