Acer Travelmate 2300 - Windows Vista or 7

Options
BKent
BKent Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello,

I have a Travelmate 2300 and was wondering if it is possible to upgrade it to either Windows Vista or Windows 7..?

I have been trying and so far have been unable to find the following Windows Vista or 7 Drivers for this computer.

1.)  Wireless LAN Adapter - model:  AMBIT - T60N871.00 - Rev.1...,

2.)  Video/Graphics Driver - not sure of model specifications

3.)  Touchpad Driver.

If someone has knowledge of these drivers.., please let me know.

Thank-You.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

Not recommended. Not only are there driver incompatibilities, the hardware is way underpowered. See

http://community.acer.com/t5/2013-Archives/my-old-travelmate-2300-will-not-install-win-7-32bit-OS/td-p/42847

Keep it on XP. Much more practical to get a newer system for the more recent OSes.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BKent
    Options

Hello JackE..,

Thanks for your reply.

I did notice that thread from February of 2013.., I was hoping for possible recent driver updates.

Yes.., it would be nice to purchase a new system.., it is not currently possible.., unfortunately. 

The computer runs fine on XP.., just concerned with the recent 'end-of-support' by Microsoft.

Is the 'end-of-support' a reason for concern.., or not..??

Will anti-virus or malware software protect a system.., or is there reason for concern with 'end of support' for XP..?

Thanks. 

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

Stick with XP on that machine and carry on! XP is a wonderful OS and will continue to run just fine. I'm still using Win98SE without problems --- it hasn't been supported in years. No matter what OS you have --- supported or not ---- you gotta try to be reasonably careful about sites you visit, links you click  and stuff you try to download and run.  You might get a chuckle out of reading this thread  on your very same concerns http://community.acer.com/t5/Notebooks-Netbooks/Aspire-One-Obsolete-Tell-me-it-aint-so/td-p/232684 .

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BKent
    Options

Right...., thanks for your input.., I appreciate it.

It looks like I don't have much choice.., but to continue to use XP.

So.., onward I guess.., till a new purchase is possible.

Cheers...!!

This discussion has been closed.