travelmate 8200 memory upgrade problem

Options
drh
drh Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

hi acer gurus,

i have a travelmate 8200 laptop with 2 GB RAM that i want to upgrade to windows 7 from windows XP.  i'd like to install 2x2 GB of RAM before doing the upgrade.  when i put in the Crucial.com recommended memory (DDR2 PC2-5300), the machine boots only with 2 GB of RAM in a single slot but not with 2 GB in both slots.  any advice?  is this a BIOS problem?

thanks in advance.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,131 Trailblazer
    Options

You need to check whether the modules or the slots in Motherboard is faulty, install single stick in bottom slot, then install the same stick in the other slot(one near the cover). Make sure that you insert the modules at an angle and seated properly, talke time and don't rush because the pins are fragile.

• drh
    Options

hi brummyfan2,

thanks -- i did all that, but still cannot install both memory sticks (either one works fine, and both slots works well in a 2x1 GB configuration).

-drh

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,131 Trailblazer
    Options

Is the BIOS recognise 4GB? how much your Task manager reports? could be a Motherboard chipset restriction but your model supposed to go up to 4GB.

• ErnieMac
    ErnieMac Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Isn't the max memory for the travelmate 8200 2gb? How are you going to get it to recognize more than that or we're you able to? I would like to do the same if you were successfull. Mine is at 2gb now.

Thanks.

• drh
    Options

the problem was solved by upgrading the BIOS.  once that was done, the 4 GB worked fine.

-drh

• ma0xzim
    ma0xzim Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    if you don't mind ~ selling this old piece to me thanks....I used to have one it broke . here is email n2getha@ukr.net