Aspire Battery Not Detected - SOLUTION

joelaw11220
joelaw11220 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have an Aspire M5-581T. In March of 2014, the battery suddenly stopped working. It would not charge, the unit would not boot from the battery, and if I unplugged the computer from the AC outlet it shut down completely. This problem was a real pain. After scouring the internet, including the Acer community posts many of which discussed Acer tech suggestions for fixing the problem but which did not work, I finally found this solution on Tom's Hardware:

Shane Andrews said:

I have been working on this model laptop for a friend of mine and after working on it, it would not see the battery. Working on computers for a living, this bothered me. After trying all of the proposed fixes, nothing worked. Alas, I had given up and decided to button the laptop back up. This is when I found the solution. It turns out that the battery HAS TO BE GROUNDED to the case in order to operate. It does this through a case screw. The particular case screw it uses is about 1.5 inches above the power indicator LED. If you press in that general area with the laptop plugged in, you will see it start to charge. In order to solve this issue permanently, make sure that the screw in this mounting hole in in tight. This has frustrated me to no end, but I am happy to finally have a solution.

It's sad that Acer couldn't figure this out or, if they did know the solution, alert customers to it. I hope Acer adds this to their database so customers have access to this easy and low cost solution to a serious and annoying problem.

Answers

• mahesham22
    mahesham22 Member Posts: 4 New User

I could not identify exactly which screw needed to be tightened, so I tightned every screw. :smileyvery-happy:

And magically, my headache was gone. I used the laptop untill the battery was at 10% (around 3.5 hours), and it didn't shut down unexpectedly even a single time.

Thanks a lot!

Mahesh