Intel 4000 HD Graphics driver has been uninstalled, will not reinstall.

Options
stig4020
stig4020 Member Posts: 9 New User

Hi,

Could really use some help with a problem I am having.

I have a Acer Aspire V3-711 running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

I was having difficulty installing an update for my Nvidia GeForce 640m driver. The Nvidia updater was not working, manually downloading and installing the correct driver was not working, and updating through the device manager was not working as it was telling me 'Access is denied'. I was given advice by Nvidia live chat to uninstall and then reinstall the intel driver and then retry the Nvidia installation. 

However, now the intel HD 4000 driver will not reinstall. Downloading the correct driver from http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers will not work, with the installation failaing after several minutes, and the device manager update will not work, with it again telling me that 'Access is denied'. The device manager updater is finding a driver to install, but says I do not have access. I have tried reducing my UAC settings, have done a thorough malware scan and registry clean, and cannot find any information anyway to help with this specific problem. I cannot restore my machine to a time before the uninstallation of the Intel HD 4000 driver was completed, no earlier time exists. 

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance,

Joel 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,560 Trailblazer
    Options

How about trying the erecovery with data retention option?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• stig4020
    Options

That is a good idea, however this is the first time I have heard of that function, and so I did not create a disc for that purpose and I cannot purchase one for my machine from the Acer store.

• JackE
    Options

Use the Alt+F10 Acer erecovery and retain data process as outlined  in the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• stig4020
    Options
    Okay awesome. I have just started it. Thanks! I will let you know how it works out.
  • stig4020
    Options
    Okay, so the restore was going smoothly until the computer restarted and said 'Setup is starting services'. At that point, it says windows cannot be installed on this machine. It now will not move past this point.
  • JackE
    Options

If at first you don't succeed....try the Alt+F10 erecovery process again. 8^) This sometimes happens. If it refuses to install this way, don't despair, there are more ways to try to get around this. But let's try this again first.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• stig4020
    Options
    Alt+F10 isnt working. I can only press shift+F10 to bring up the command box
  • stig4020
    Options

Okay so I think the recovery worked. However, now it says my hard drive is full, but I cant access my files. I had to create a new user to finish the install of windows, but I have now signed back into the original account and I still cannot access my files.

• stig4020
    Options

So yeah, the resotre has worked and the drivers have installed. The only problem now is that I can't access the data I chose to retain. It is still taking up space on my hard drive, but I cant/dont know where to access it. Any help with this?

• stig4020
    Options

Its all good. Got it all back. Thanks for your help.

• JackE
    Options

>>>data>>>but I cant/dont know where to access it. Any help with this?>>>

>>>Its all good. Got it all back.>>>

Don't leave us in suspense. 8^) Where/how did you find your data?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• stig4020
    Options
    Well because I created a new user for my laptop, I just accessed the files from my old user profile in the users folder on the C drive. The backup to the folder backup1 didnt do anything, but my files were retained. Im not sure if the erecovery worked or not, but if it didnt, it seems that creating a new user granted me access to update ny graphics drivers again.
  • JackE
    Options

>>> a new user granted me access to update ny graphics drivers again>>>

Unless you have significant problems with or strong reasons to update the ACER factory-installed Nvidia & Intel drivers, I suggest NOT trying to upgrade them again.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.