recovery restore media

Options
stuball
stuball Member Posts: 3 New User

I have a Gateway Model Q5WTC (marketing name NE56R/NE51B ) Laptop running windows 7 with 4 GB ram

I believe I got a virus, even though I have Macafee Running.  My computer became unresponsive and after several attempts to correct the issue, I decided to recover and restore to a factory state, while NOT deleting my data.

After running through the restore process my computer says the restore process failed.  The error message is attached here.

I can not restore/recover my computer   I looked online to order recovery media and it says that there is none available.

Help please

Stu

gateway.jpggateway.jpg

Answers

• ajay_1988
    ajay_1988 Member Posts: 77 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Just a thought, check to see what your BIOS settings are on your computer.
    This problem is usually related some potential problem in the disk or BIOS or faulty hardware. The BIOS sometimes limits the read/write scope of boot sectors, to avoid virus attack.
    Review the BIOS setting, if there’s any Anti-Virus settings, just disable it, and then start the install again.

Please try to download “Memory Diagnostic Tool” from Microsoft website, and do a memory check on the computers.
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

This is Microsoft's Online Crash Analysis tool with step by step guide. You can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard.

Please reply back and let us know if this helped to resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
  • stuball
    Options

How can I get into the BIOS?

SInce the computer wont boot how ?

thanks

Stu

• stuball
    Options

I went into the bios and there is no anti virus program.

I cant download the memory diagnostics because I cant load the computer.

Any other ideas?  How can I get the restore/recovery media?

Thanks

Stu

• ajay_1988
    Options
    Bro to go to bios
    When you power on your system and when you see Acer Logo press F2 button. This will take you to the Bios.

Your system is not booting to windows, but BIOS is no where connected to Windows. Even if your Windows corrupt you can any time go in BIOS
  • ajay_1988
    Options

1)      On the same error screen press SHIFT+F10 and it will open up a black Window. (a command prompt window)

2)       In  the black windows type the word "regedit"(without the inverted commas and hit enter. That will open the registry editor.

In the Registry Editor..

Browse to....

HKLocal machine/SYSTEM/SETUP/STATUS/ChildCompletion, and after highliting childcompletion,on the right hand side check for setup.exe. if the value is 1 change it to 3.(by double clicking on setup.exe and changing the value shown in the box).

Then close the registry editor and then also close the black window.

Then click on OK for the error and the computer will restart and the installation may complete.  just try it and let me know if it worked.

This discussion has been closed.