Service Windows Update is running but tells me can not update because the service is not running..

Options
Eug2
Eug2 Member Posts: 7 New User

Problems with services on my ACER Aspire, I can not get any updates, Messages telling me it is because the service is not running, I checked; msconfig;  it is running.  Please help me with this problem.

Thanks.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,621 Trailblazer
    Options

What Aspire model? WinVista, Win7, Win8?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Eug2
    Options

Hi, it is  ACER Aspire AS3810T-8501 with Win, 7 Home premium.

Thanks

• JackE
    Options

First, check your Win update settings in control panel. If nothing seems amiss there, do a cold boot and try to update again. If the same thing happens, check services in both msconfig and task mgr (from ctrl-alt-del) for consistency. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Eug2
    Options

Thanks a lot Jack.  Well, all looks ok. In task manager, service name; wuauserv (PID 988) running. Rebooting does not help,,,

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Download/run Microsoft fixit   :    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/en-us

This seems to be a great program for resolving windows update issues.

• Eug2
    Options

Hi,,

I tried but no success it ends with unexpected error. I have no antivirus program running,  no antimalware program either. The Windows Defender is also not running,, just does not start, though it was working before. Now nothing what protects my laptop works, but also I do not want install any third party malware or antivirus right now till I have this problem, I know sooner or later it will be pain. The only one thing protects my laptop , it is MS firewall but with no updates are possible due to some stranger error that could be caused by the ACER software blocking it all. I truly wish to rid all  the ACER dependencies and use only plain installation Windows 7, everything is there,, what else I need…  Is it possible to install Windows 7 on  this ACER aspire AS3810T-8501 without any ACER dependencies?

Thank You to Everyone for help.

• JackE
    Options

Yes, it is possbile to download a clean-install image of the Win7 installation from digitalriver (a Microsoft approved download site - google digital river, windows 7 image, etc) and either create an installation CD/DVD or bootstick using the Microsoft DVD/USB tool. You will, however, probably have to update a lot of drivers from the Acer site to get everything working optimally. In doing such an installation, you will also have to activate Win7 using the your machine's SNID and Windows license. A bit of a hassle, but all the Acer fluff 'n stuff will be gone. 8^) I had to do this clean install on my machine when the erecovery process didn't seem to want to erecover.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Eug2
    Options

Thanks Jack E,  Yes I will do new install, it is only thing that make sense to me for long term. This laptop was no problem for 15 months. then HD failed I paid $150 for the replacement, then again the problems with updates and anything else what is essential for the security failed too, it is telling me now also I am not using genuine version of windows and directs me to buy windows,, oh,, ti is like I am bad guy here. I paid for the laptop I have the Serial and  Win,, activation so I have the right to have the Win 7 installed and use it  soone I buy new laptop ofcourse not ACER, than pay for any ACER services to restore this back to be under ACER contrl.. That's my point. Than you to all for your help.

This discussion has been closed.