Iconia W5 : micro USB not working after updating windows 8.1

Options
funacer
funacer Member Posts: 38 New User

I am using Acer Iconia W5 windows tablet PC. I am facing problem after updating to Windows 8.1 that the micro USB not working in my tablet PC. Please help me to solve the problem.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Which Iconia W5XX tablet are you updating to Windows 8.1? If you are updating the W510, I would suggest downloading the Windows 8.1 driver package from our Downloads and Manuals page.

If you have updated the W500 tablet then I would suggest restoring the tablet back to Window 7 or 8 because as of now we only support those two operating systems for this tablet.

If the above suggestions do not work and you have the W510, then I would suggest reloading the system back to its original operating system and determine if the micro USB port is functional. Next follow the upgrade path once more, but first make sure your drivers, BIOS, and critical/recommend updates are up to date. After you finish the upgrade try installing the Windows 8.1 driver package once again.

Please contact technical service in your region if the problem persists and you have the Iconia W510 that we provide support for in Windows 8.1.

• funacer
    Options

Thank you very much for the reply.

I am using ICONIA W510 tablet PC. I have updated the driver as it was mentioned but the problem is not solved.

I want to explain the problem in detail. Perhaps I do not remember when this problem started exactly. I think I have used the USB drive after the update to Windows 8.1 some times.

But in last few days, when I connect any USB drive (like USB mass storgae Pen drive) to the micro USB port the tablet PC. I do not see the files in explorer or in my computer. But when I go to the

1) change PC setting > PC and devices > Devices > other devices
    2) Device Manager > USB mass Storage Device

I find that this device is connected.

This problem is very critical for me since I could not connect any USB device and actually I am travelling. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

funacer wrote:

Thank you very much for the reply.

I am using ICONIA W510 tablet PC. I have updated the driver as it was mentioned but the problem is not solved.

I want to explain the problem in detail. Perhaps I do not remember when this problem started exactly. I think I have used the USB drive after the update to Windows 8.1 some times.

But in last few days, when I connect any USB drive (like USB mass storgae Pen drive) to the micro USB port the tablet PC. I do not see the files in explorer or in my computer. But when I go to the

1) change PC setting > PC and devices > Devices > other devices
    2) Device Manager > USB mass Storage Device

I find that this device is connected.

This problem is very critical for me since I could not connect any USB device and actually I am travelling. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

With the device connected, if you go to computer management (right click on my pc and choose manage) and select the disk manager, does the USB device show there? What file system is shown?

If you use your tablet in a work environment, are you sure your IT people haven't disabled USB storage? This is a common security change for companies to make and you would get the symptoms you describe...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • funacer
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I can see the USB pan drive in Disk Management. The file system is FAT32 and condition is Healthy.

It is my personal tablet PC and it is only used by me so no question about to disable the USB.

Actually, it is the problem with any USB device like the micro USB LAN adaptor also does not work.

Few months before, every thing was working perfectly but exactly I do not remember when every USB device stopped working.

• funacer
    Options

My problem is still not solved.

But some how, I could manage to see my files in USB Pen drive. When I give the path of the Pen drive in 1) DOS prompt or 2) in RUN window, I can see the files saved in my Pen drive and I can access the file in windows explores using the RUN.

I do not know what to do for other USB devices like micro USB LAN adaptor etc. It is frustrating.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• billsey
    Options

When you access the files directly are you using a volume name or the drive letter? I'll continue to research ... maybe something will come up.

You might also try changing the drive letter on the USB partition... Just in case it's conflicting. Set it high enough to not match anything else you might have plugged in in the past.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • funacer
    Options

Thanks for the reply.

It takes the next available drive letter so I first check its drive letter in the disk management. Then I type eg. "E:" in the DOS prompt or in "RUN" in windows. I find the files saved in the USB storage device.

• billsey
    Options

When you try from Windows Explorer does E: show up at all on the list? If so and it just shows as empty the files might be hidden. If it doesn't show at all you might try chkdsk on it from a command prompt to see if it's just a corrupted partition.

• funacer
    Options

No, I do not see the new drive in windows explorer (e.g. on clicking the my computer), there is only two drive, one is C: (permanent memory storage) and other is D: (I am using removable memory storage card).

Even, it is connected, I can see in disk management. Some how, I can read and write the files in Pen drive using the RUN and DOS prompt.

BUT, what do I do with other other USB devices.

• funacer
    Options

JUST adding a line in last post:

It is not with a particular pan drive. This problem is with any pen drive or any USB device that I connect.

• billsey
    Options

Try typing in the drive letter in the address box in Explorer. I've used that a lot with network machines that don't advertise... Yours is sure an odd problem!

• funacer
    Options

What should I do with other USB devices that are not the data storage device???

This discussion has been closed.