Acer Aspire Destop T180 Upgrade Motherboard

Options
pitroadrush
pitroadrush Member Posts: 6 New User

Hello, need advise to upgrade an acer aspire desktop motherboard... This one, it doesn't take it anymore. Below are the specs. Advise please.

Mk.

Socket Type : 940 pin socket

- Processor Type : AMD AM2 Athlon64 x2/Athlon64/Sempron

Memory:

- Memory Type : DDRII unbuffered SDRAM module support (DDR2 400/533/667)

- No of Channel (Dual/Signal) : Dual channel should be enabled always when plug-in 2 same

memory size DDRII memory module

- Socket Type : un-buffered 240 pin DIMM socket

- DIMM Slot : 4

- Support memory size per socket: 256MB to 1GB

- Memory Size Max. : Up to 1 GB

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi pitroadrush

The T180 was a great little machine at its time, but is now a little dated!

Because the components are basic, and old, you may like to consider replacing not only the motherboard, but the RAM & the processor. I'm not aware of any new motherboard that will take DDR2 memory - it's been DDR3 for quite a while now. Plus the fact you're stating your mobo is maxed out at 1GB - that is way too low for most modern use. I know later models of the T180, supported up to 4GB.

The processor is slow and basic in comparison to what is available now. You would also need to buy a new version of Window, because your Acer one will not work with a new motherboard.

The only options are:

1. Buy a used motherboard from the likes of eBay that is compatible with your components. All AMD socket AM2 should work with your processor.

2. Buy new kit. You can usually buy "bundles" where you get Mobo, RAM, & processor - all compatible, for a special price.

• pitroadrush
    pitroadrush Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the advise, I found this option on amazon: 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R37XQE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=38OIFM9D0TEJK&coliid=I1ROAMFH99UEIH

This discussion has been closed.