ACER Flash Player

Options
Gene45
Gene45 Member Posts: 19 New User
I started getting a pop up message in a little box with the ACER logo, telling me to download the ACER flash player. I have clicked OK a few times, the box goes away, but as far as I can tell nothing ever happens. What is this about? Model RL100

Answers

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

How odd.  I was unaware Acer make their own flash player software.

I would personally elect to install Adobe flash player from : http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

That should get rid of the pop up, I hope !

Good luck Smiley Happy

• Gene45
    Options
    OK, I did that. I'd post a picture of the box but can't see how to do that. Wait to see what happens
  • Gene45
    Options
    With the latest version of flash player from Adobe , I still gt the ACER message. Any ideas?
  • finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Gene45

I too was not aware of an Acer version of Flash!! The latest Flash Player is Version 12.0.0.77.

Check out your Start up items to see if there is something running that is causing this problem (either MSCONFIG or through Task manager if Windows 8). Try temporarily disabling all items except your AV, then restart to see if the message returns. If there is no message then start enabling them, one by one until the message returns. Then you'll have found the culprit!

• Gene45
    Options
    Ok Shockwave Flash 12.0.0.77 is always activated as a "plug in" in Firefox . When I look in MSCONFIG, Adobe flash player update Servicv is "stopped" And I don't know what " AV " means in your comment.
  • finlux
    Options

OK - It's Shockwave player?

AV means Anti Virus, not wise to disable that! If you don't need Shockwave, then disable it in Firefox - see here. It will be worth uninstalling the program too. If it is something you use, then uninstall it, and reinstalling it may stop the message.

As for MSCONFIG, you're looking in the Services tab - you'll need to look in the Start-up tab to see if there is anything Shockwave player related!

• Gene45
    Options
    OK I disabled everything except the audio system (realteck) , hotkey utility, avast and dropbox. I'll see if that matters? The sily part is I have no idea what they thing is telling me to do. I say OK but it seems nothing happens.
  • Gene45
    Options
    I trried googling this problem and foudn serveral other discussions about it . One suggestion was that is it referring to Adobe flash for IE whiel Iam using Firefox. Not long ago I got IE to run as some sites prefer it, but I know nothing about it. I can't even figure out where the add-ons are .....
  • finlux
    Options

Perhaps the best thing to do is to uninstall both Flash Player & Shockwave from your PC - all instances of it. Next reset your browser(s), restart, then reinstall Flash player for your main browser.

If you do not need, or barely use Shockwave, leave it uninstalled for now.

• Gene45
    Options

I got IE working and installed flash player there. The ACER pop ups stopped. 

No idea why the pop up occurred in an ACER window, when it was IE that wanted the flash player, while I was using Firefox   .

• finlux
    Options

Glad you're now fixed Smiley Happy

This discussion has been closed.